How do you amplify your acoustic guitar?

I use an Acoustic AG60 and usually DI it into the board. I like using the amp for stage volume. I have been thinking about getting a pre-amp and just going direct to the board so I don't have to lug around another amp.

Direct box w/reverb in loop -> Keyboard amp for stage volume/monitor -> Board if needed.

Neither of my "playing out" acoustics have working on-board preamps so I keep the direct box within reach.

A Para DI straight into the A&H mixer. I've got a Loudbox 100 too but haven't used it since August. Great little amp tho'.

Undersaddle pickup > DI > mixing desk (not that I've had much occasion to amplify it).

Some people don't like the, erm... "jangly-ness" of the sound this produces, but I like it.

I picked up an original Line 6 Pod for 40 bucks (mint w/box & manual) on ebay. I run it right into my little PA. Works like a charm.

For non A/E, what are the recommendations for amplification without paying as much as I did for the guitar? What I want to do is record without sitting in front of a mic.

Sent from The Nether

UltraSound DI Plus straight into the board. I used to use an amp with a DI, but got tired of schlepping two amps to every gig. I won't use an amp designed for an electric for my acoustic, though there are a few that work well. I just don't use those amps since generally they are more jazz oriented amps (Roland JC120 for example).

A system I made from a UST and a carefully located SBT, into a Baggs PADI, then preferably into my PA, although I have a 60-watt Rocktron Rampage Acoustic amp when I'm working with a sub drummer, as many can't control their dynamics well enough to allow me to hear myself through the PA's monitors.

My regular percussionist, Kat, has a great sense of dynamics and doesn't mind letting the PA make her congas and stuff louder, but sometimes she gets booked by another band before I can call on her, so y'all know the drill...

9e6fa12d-7e13-4b42-a8d4-d67284558252

I plug into a Hughes and Kettner DI and into the PA or Mic it up with a good condenser mic. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in the end.

Up until recently I've been using an older Fishman Loud Box. It sounded very good but the thing was almost as heavy as my Twin. Now I'm using one of these with a pedal board. It came with its own travel case on wheels. Not near as good of an amp as the Fishman but I'm liking the sound from the spread speakers both for the guitar and vocals as well.

Last edited:
Recording King R07: Baggs M1A soundhole. Usually straight to board. But I also have a Roland AC60 I can use as a mini PA.
D28: A good microphone.

Back