How "bougie" are you about your bread?

I make all most all of our bread/rolls/pizza dough/etc.
If I buy any bakery products, I'll only buy stuff that's made with the same simple ingredients that I would use at home.

Buy a loaf of Spelt or sourdough bread st the local Amish store, they slice it for me.

I love good french or italian bread but rarely eat it, it is generally too expensive as a regular bread. I have Costco wheat bread as my budget bread. It stays frozen until needed since I don't eat bread every day. There is a lot of sourdough here (SF area) which I dislike.

I’m picky in that I won’t buy bread that contains added gluten (which is just a cheap filler) or any form of sugar. But I’m happy to eat just about anything that’s made without sugar or fillers. Mostly I end up eating Ezekiel bread. Once or twice a year Costco has bulk packs of frozen ready-to-bake French bread, from Paris. I stock up on that because I can pop it in the toaster fifteen minutes before dinner and have hot fresh bread.

The Amish stores here all have electricity. What's up with that?

The Amish only reject technology that they feel undermines family and community. Each Amish community decides what that means. Some of them are pretty advanced, others are living in the eighteenth century.

The Amish only reject technology that they feel undermines family and community. Each Amish community decides what that means. Some of them are pretty advanced, others are living in the eighteenth century.
I think that's a can of worms. Clearly if they thought it through the generator and electricity are the basis of undermining family...electricity enables individuals to be active at night and night is the time of heathen activity. It also enables things like television and radio which brings the sights and sounds of the outside evil into the community, etc, etc. i think Amish that use generators and electricity are just cashing it in, selling out and posers :mad:

The Amish that built our fence, and the other team that restored our barn, were total cheaters. Each one had an iPhone, but it was registered to a non-Amish guy. They rode down from PA to MD, but they didn't drive, etc. Everything had a work-around. I don't blame them, as these are the tools that one needs to compete in the broader marketplace, but it was all so ridiculous.

The Amish that built our fence, and the other team that restored our barn, were total cheaters. Each one had an iPhone, but it was registered to a non-Amish guy. They rode down from PA to MD, but they didn't drive, etc. Everything had a work-around. I don't blame them, as these are the tools that one needs to compete in the broader marketplace, but it was all so ridiculous.

Perhaps they were Sham-ish

Challah is fantastic for French toast but for sammiches I currently prefer a sprouted multigrain. No, not that Ezekiel crap. This...
upload_2016-9-28_12-43-37.png

It's from US Foods. I don't think it's available through a local store. I steal, I mean BUY it through work.

We were getting this stuff:

but found that it tended to be too moist/delicate in the middle and simply didn't hold together well.

Lately, we've been using this:

37C03CF1.jpg

and it's quite good!

We prefer the bakeries over here, my wife despises toast bread.

My kids eat it though and I might make a sandwich with it, but we buy it mostly only because it lasts a week on the counter and we're too busy/lazy to run every couple of days for the good shit.

Here is some homemade apple bread I made from scratch on Sunday...found the recipe in a box of old cookbooks my mom had and this was handwritten in a notebook with "------ loves this" ....the hash marks being my older brother, no mention of me :embarrassed: I suppose this was probably before I was eatin' solids cuz i don't remember it as a child.

IMG_0318.JPG

Back