Hot or Not - Richmond by Godin Dorchester

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/richmond-by-godin-dorchester-electric-guitar

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_520107.134.063_cherry_burst_mp.jpg

[h=3]With vintage good looks, cool retro styling, and modern electronics.
[/h] The Richmond Dorchester is an electric guitar that will definitely turn heads. But the best part—The Dorchester guitar sounds even better than it looks! This tone giant features a 25-1/2" scale, 2 classic sounding Lace Alumitone humbucker pickups, housed in a double-cutaway chambered body with a silver leaf maple center and poplar wings. The Dorchester guitar's pickups are controlled by separate volume and tone knobs, along with a 4-way switch to select between various tantalizing sounds. The first position puts the neck and bridge pickups in series, giving you fatter tone and more output.

The Dorchester guitar's bolt-on rock maple neck has the worn-in feel of an Ergocut rosewood or maple fingerboard for an incredibly comfortable playing experience. This Richmond beauty is finished off with high-ratio chrome tuning machines, a chrome roller bridge with fixed tailpiece, a Nordic white extended pickguard and truss rod cover with matching binding on the back. Richmond includes a gig bag with the Dorchester Electric Guitar.

Richmond Guitars received 'Best In Show' honors at Summer NAMM 2008!

Check the drop-down menu to the right to select colors and/or other options.

[h=4]Features[/h]
  • Neck: Rock Maple
  • Fingerboard: Ergocut rosewood or maple fingerboard
  • Radius: 12"
  • Nut Width: 1-11/16"
  • Scale length: 25-1/2" scale
  • Body: Chambered silver leaf maple body with poplar wings
  • Pickups: Two Lace Alumitone humbuckers
  • Bridge: Chrome roller bridge with fixed tailpiece
  • Tuning machines: Kluson chrome tuning machines
  • Controls: 1 Volume, 1 Tone and 4-way switch (featuring the neck/bridge in series in position 1)

Well, I think it would look better with the neck pickup not angled, but it still looks neat... Wonder how it sounds and plays... At least the volume knob is out of the way, too!

I can tell you from first hand experience, they play and sound great! When I bought my American Special Tele at Cream City Music, a guy was finalizing a sale on a Dorchester (Cream City is also a Godin and Seagull Dealer - I bought my Seagull 12-string from them). When he saw me looking at it, he graciously allowed me to try it out, before he left Cream City. It played great and sounded great (the pickups sounded like a cross between a PAF, and a Ric mini humbucker). I wouldn't mind having one - espcially if my on again, off again feelings towards my Tele trend even more towards off again (once again, I'm getting annoyed by the what I perceive to be a spiky sound, like my other Teles had - my bad I should have realized that single coil Teles, with the bridge plate have this characteristic).

F.Y.I. - the Dorchester pickups are Lace Alumatones

Last edited:
I've played one. Don't like the looks but it plays well and the alumitones are wild. Never heard a pickup with such wide frequency response before. Bass that will rattle teeth in there.

EG

I don't know - I think the 'burst kind of looks like a mutant Ric Fireglo color. It looks fine to me. The Dorchester is also offered in black w/white pickguard (the one I tried out was black).

I'd play the black one, I can dig it. Kinda like a Rick and a Mosrite...thing..

Back