Hot or Not: Paul Reed Smith Mutt-o-Caster.

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
A couple of you have played this guitar.... it's the neck from a PRS Swamp Ash that I've sanded down, recontoured, and rolled the fingerboard edges mated to the mahogany body of the PRS CE Hot Hues Copper model.

996123_10202609565308843_7162415179226825662_n.jpg

Right now it has a covered Seymour Duncan JB, PRS trem, PRS locking tuners, and a single volume knob.

Here's Micwalt playing it a few years ago at Pragestock.
223950_1971170687449_4615848_n.jpg

And some from when it was being Frankenstein-ed.

sas21.jpg

sas24.jpg

Also, I've tried a couple different neck pickups... this guitar sounds and plays best with no pickup in the neck. I don't know why... it's just happier that way. :grin:

Also, I've tried a couple different neck pickups... this guitar sounds and plays best with no pickup in the neck. I don't know why... it's just happier that way. :grin:

Less pull on the strings? Supposedly one of the reasons people love LP Jr's and Esquire's so much.

It's a beauty...I didn't even notice the missing neck pickup until you mentioned it...

...of course I am looking at it on my phone...

I remember thinking that the neck felt good. I'm not in love with the aesthetics although I do like the missing pickup.

You'll like it better when I get the piezo saddles installed then.... it will have a magnetic volume, a piezo volume, and a mini switch. Still no neck pickup though.

Have you thought about just gutting a hub of all the magnets and bits but running it in the neck? It would be magnetically dead but would look function and fill the hole.

Have you thought about just gutting a hub of all the magnets and bits but running it in the neck? It would be magnetically dead but would look function and fill the hole.

I may put the piezo preamp in the neck hole so I can adjust the trim pots and such without opening the back. Depends on how long the saddle wires are once they're in the trem.

Back