Hot or Not? Hyundai Veloster

As far as snow....its pretty clear you want a small hatchback....but I should mention that me amd a buddy were comparing cars the other day. He has a Kia sorento and of course I was giving him crap about not being a "real" 4x4 but i gotta admit that thing impressed me. 31mpg....comfortable...seemingly well built (I believe that Samsung owns both hyundai and Kia now right Mark?) seemingly capable awd system with a lockable center diff....i dunno. I bag on cute utes all the time but i was suitably impressed with that little thing. Might be worth your while to consider one if youre wanting good mpg with foul weather assurance.
Hyundai is self owned and owns about 30% of Kia. Kia is the "sister" company to Hyundai and the internal rivalry is pretty intense. The Kia factory in West Point, Georgia was where they made my Santa Fe actually.

Huh. Coworker of mine's hubby works for Samsung and they can get Hyundai or Kia at cost since she says Samsung owns both. I took her at her word but she must be misunderstanding since obviously as Mrs W works directly for Hyundai you guys would know.

How capable does tje Santa Fe seem to you?

If I get this new job, with my wife being in school this coming spring Id likely be in the market for an affordable, reliable extremely snow-capable vehicle for her. Id keep the 4runner for my work since Id be working for the City and bad weather conditions would almost certainly have me out and about.

Huh. Coworker of mine's hubby works for Samsung and they can get Hyundai or Kia at cost since she says Samsung owns both. I took her at her word but she must be misunderstanding since obviously as Mrs W works directly for Hyundai you guys would know.

How capable does tje Santa Fe seem to you?

If I get this new job, with my wife being in school this coming spring Id likely be in the market for an affordable, reliable extremely snow-capable vehicle for her. Id keep the 4runner for my work since Id be working for the City and bad weather conditions would almost certainly have me out and about.
The Santa Fe is fucking awsome. I've had 6-7 of them over the years. The turbo is even better but even the base model is really well equipped.

getting back to jbird, i know if i were looking for a hatchback, which only makes sense to me here in NYC, i'd go for a used VW Golf.

A Golf would certainly be on my list, I like them a lot. Only thing about them is their mpg, I hear it's only around 31-32 highway. A German gal I work with says hers only gets about 31 highway. My '07 Focus, on the interstate keeping it around 71-72 mph, I get 34 to 35. I'd like to stay around the 35mpg+ highway if I can, since the majority of my driving is back & forth to work on a 55mph state highway.

A Golf would certainly be on my list, I like them a lot. Only thing about them is their mpg, I hear it's only around 31-32 highway. A German gal I work with says hers only gets about 31 highway. My '07 Focus, on the interstate keeping it around 71-72 mph, I get 34 to 35. I'd like to stay around the 35mpg+ highway if I can, since the majority of my driving is back & forth to work on a 55mph state highway.

TDI. I've had a couple as loaners and even driving around town I was getting in the mid 30s. Hit the highway and you're banging in the 40s.

^^ My wife has a TDI jetta wagon. We regularly get in the high 30's low 40's around town, and long highway trips are usually mid 40's. On one trip we got 52 mpg over about 300 miles. :messedup:

not hot at all.

gross in fact.

front grill way too big. back bumper too big and back window too small.

hyundia just copies everyone else so I just hate them on principle. they don't do anything original, they just copy others and build it crappier so they can undercut on price.

On my way back from Sweetwaterfest today in Fort Wayne, I stopped at a local coffee shoppe (not Starbucks or Biggby's) over by War Memorial Coliseum. On my way back to I-69, I spotted a Hyundai dealership so I pulled in.

I didn't realize that the Hyundai Accent is now available as a hatchback now. Not bad looking, and it has the same engine/trannies as the Veloster, the 1.6L 138-hp. Rear seat legroom was very cramped in the back of the Accent hatchback though, the rear legroom in the Veloster was actually much better oddly enough, though the rear seat headroom in the Veloster was lacking.

Since I have rear passengers maybe once or twice a year I may have to look into those Accents. Fort Wayne people must love their manual transmissions though, as just about every Accent, Veloster, or Elantra GT hatchback all had manual transmissions there at the Fort Wayne Hyundai dealer. only a couple of autos out of the whole bunch.

I spoke with the folks at a local dealer and he said they can attempt to place orders but normally Hyundai ships them what they have and they have to go with that. They don't work like in years past when you could spec a car. Dood I spoke with said they get whatever comes into port unannounced.

Since I have rear passengers maybe once or twice a year I may have to look into those Accents.

"once or twice a year" really wouldn't be anything that would drive a purchase decision for me. Just take someone else's car.

Back