Hot or Not? Hyundai Veloster

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I've been thinking of getting a new car, probably later this year or spring of next year.

I want something that gets as good or better gas milage than what I drive now, an '07 Ford Focus 5-door hatchback that I get 34 mpg at interstate speeds and high 20's in city driving. I'd like to stay with a hatchback, but that isn't a 'must have'.

Researching some cars last week, I was surprised to see the non-turbo Veloster is rated at 37 mpg highway, and 28 mpg city. Hmmm......

2014-Hyundai-Veloster-Review.jpg

yellow_veloster_by_toyonda-d6f951k.jpg

The non-turbo's engine is a 1.6L getting 138 hp and 123 ft.-lb torque...a bit under-powered by just about any review I've read or watched, but that is pretty good gas mileage.

A base 2014 Veloster comes very well equipped including back-up camera at just under $20k for the one with the dual-clutch automatic. The stereo systems in these are supposed to be kickin', though road noise is also supposed to be higher than average for a small car, especially if one opts for the sunroof (I don't want a sunroof).

We borrowed one for a weekend last year. They are pretty cool but they are not a sports car. The turbo is probably much sportier though. I also have the inside track on Hyundai deals as well if you are interested although the sales people will resent you horribly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think they look cool, and I don't need a turbo, which would add to the cost of insurance anyways.

How quiet was the car, Mark? Like I said, a lot of reviews I've seen comment on the road noise, but I can't imagine it being louder than my Focus, which has plenty of road noise and a couple of door panels have small rattles. I'm not concerned about rear seat room, as I have rear passengers maybe once or twice a year in my cars at most.

Yeah, the Mazda3 is definitely on my short list. Reviews of the Mazda3 though say it has a lot of road noise too, and I've heard rumors that because of the redesigned front suspension that tires wear out quicker :shrug:

I love the way the new Ford Focus's look, but I'm a bit leery of their dual-clutch automatic transmissions. Tons of people have had problems with them.

My wife has a 2008 fit sport with almost 90k on it.. I can attest to what a stone cold reliable and useful vehicle it has been. The current gen body style is less attractive bit it's still a great useful small car

Veloster = Gimmicky car designed around communication and entertainment technology as a market tactic for young drivers. That's straight talk from salesmen looking to up-sell the better models. Truth be told, the Elantra is the better deal. Plus, the hyped mileage is just that. Hyundai overstated it (all models) and now is giving fuel credit cards out because owners are calling foul on the claim. I have a 2012 Elantra and it's a great car. I sat in the back seat of the Veloster and (at 5'8" short) my head was on the trim surround for the rear window. Not good. Even the Elantra is short in the rear seat "saddle height" but it's better than the Veloster.

I can find some fairly cheap, low mileage used Velosters on autotrader in my area. I wonder how good they do in snow? I would certainly have to think about it too if I could get a deal on a new one. Elantra's are high on my possible list too. The only bad thing I've been able to find on reviews is that the 1.8L engine in the Elantra is a bit on the rough side compared to most engines in it's class. Other than that, nothing really negative.

I still think the Ford Focus hatch and the Mazda3 hatch are probably the two I most want though. I love the looks of both, plus they are true hatchbacks :)

Get the mazda3. Best chassis in that price range. You can drive it like an old lady and get fantastic mileage, yet you can also wind it up and have fun with it. The new focus is also really a great little car. I had one as a rental recently. The focus used to share a platform with the mazda3, but they no longer are built on the same chassis. Still, they still have a very similar overall feel to me, perhaps due to being new versions of what were once related cars.

As for the veloster, I never really cared for the look. I'm sure they are fine cars and all that, but they look a little over the top on styling to me.

Last edited:
I had a focus for a few days as a rental. Worst tranny Ive ever driven but my gosh that car was a blast to drive. Great engine, seriously amazing handling, I generally hate small cars but despite that stupid manumatic taking a month to respond to my inputs the thing was a hoot.

If that velocirapter thing feels anywhere near as good to drive as your focus Id say who cares how it looks.

As far as snow....its pretty clear you want a small hatchback....but I should mention that me amd a buddy were comparing cars the other day. He has a Kia sorento and of course I was giving him crap about not being a "real" 4x4 but i gotta admit that thing impressed me. 31mpg....comfortable...seemingly well built (I believe that Samsung owns both hyundai and Kia now right Mark?) seemingly capable awd system with a lockable center diff....i dunno. I bag on cute utes all the time but i was suitably impressed with that little thing. Might be worth your while to consider one if youre wanting good mpg with foul weather assurance.

I had a focus for a few days as a rental. Worst tranny Ive ever driven but my gosh that car was a blast to drive. Great engine, seriously amazing handling, I generally hate small cars but despite that stupid manumatic taking a month to respond to my inputs the thing was a hoot.

If that velocirapter thing feels anywhere near as good to drive as your focus Id say who cares how it looks.
If you're looking for a sports car the Velostor is not it. It was fun to drive but from what everyone says about the Mazda3 thats probably the better driving experience. The Hyundai is a pretty fun car with lots of features but the turbo Santa Fe I had last month would beat it off the line loaded with all of my PA gear in the back :embarrassed:

Back