Hot Or Not: Faux 335 Edition

James Franciscus

Kick Henry Jackassowski
This is the Ibanez Eric Krasno model that was just shipped to me. Eric Krasno is the guitarist for a band that you don't listen to called Soulive. Not even Flamencology listens to this band because Chris Thile isn't in it.

R356-2T.jpg

Hot or not?

It looks like the AS73 that I used to own. ALmost hot. The gold hardware isn't entirely working for me.

I hate the gold and I hate the fingerboard inlays; go figure.

Otherwise cool.

But I've tried a fair number of Ibanez guitars - solid, semi-hollow, hollow - and never really connected with any of them.

I've learned to appreciate semihollows but I prefer a single cutaway.

But my overly-specific and irrational tastes do not in any way reduce the hotness of that guitar.

I think it looks pretty hot. I think gold looks OK on black and wine red. The inlays are a little busy, but I think they kind of add to the overall look of a high end semi hollow.

Here is a bigger picture where you can see more of the details.

EKM100_WRD_00_01.jpg

I like how current Ibanez semihollows don't look terribly different from the Artist models they were making in the 80s. I look at them and still see elements of the John Scofield and George Benson models I used to lust after.

Except for the headstock. :(

I am a huge Brand X fan.. so I can listen to syncopated and complex extended musical ideas..but this band just bores me.

I still want the guitar.

I saw Soulive way BITDD at the Wetlands (RIP). Great musicians who kinda fell flat for me. I tend to like people they play with from that scene, just not them.

Also, that first tune with Scofield, "Hottentot", is a Scofield w/MMW tune from A Go Go. And that record you MUST get.

As for the guitar, well, gold hardware failboat. But you knew that.

Don't love the gold. Inlays are a little fancy for my tastes. My Hagstrom (Asian, a few years old now) is close enough for me.

I think it's hot!

I have an AS73T in blue with the Bigsby tremolo. It a very nice semi-hollowbody with the ACH1 &2 pups (ceramic). I checked the specs on the Eric Krasno and the pups are DiMarzio PAF Alnico pups, so that's a very nice upgrade, along with the flamed maple, and the 12" radius is nice.

I like it. I have a soft spot for semi-hollows and Ibanez makes a nice one. And that is a great choice of finish.

The fretboard inlays are a little much and gold hardware isn't my favorite, but those are minor quibbles.

Super sweet! I have really liked the Ibanez semi-hollows that I've played. Well made, and decent price.

Back