Hot New Used Ovation Mandolin

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
Since my interest in Mandolin began some years ago, I always wanted to own an Ovation Mandolin. In early September I went to a GC I don't normally visit and found an Ovation Mandolin. I have seen Applauses and Korean made Ovations for about $299-$399 new but this one sparked my interest.

Guitar Center Pic - S.jpg

This one really sparked my interest so I took some pics, tried it out, then left and went home to do some research. Upon my research I found out that this Mando was made in the USA and sought after for its built in pickup and ease of play. Prices are said to be anywhere from $799 - $900. Some don't like it because sounds similar to a guitar because of its composition being so similar to the guitars.

Needless to say I came back the following day and bought. Upon waiting the usual 30 police stolen report period I picked this up yesterday. Oh I love it and it sounds great!!!

Mando In Case - S.jpg

The really great part is that the Mando came with the case and the previous owner left a strap and a few Mando instruction DVD's. Awesome score to tell you the truth!

The Mando also features the great Pickup system along with the controls used on the guitars.

EQ Controls - S.jpg

So Ossum and I have had a lot of fun playing it since the neck and fingerboard is much more comfortable for my fingers.

Welcome to the mandolin club.

Thanks dude but this is my 3rd. Got my first when I met Gary and Jelloman back east. Got my second which is an Eastman electric Mando and this one my 3rd. Yes I still own all 3 and want to flip the 1st one as I do not need it anymore.

NICE!:thu:

I was there when you bought your first mando...this one is way cooler...:baimun:

First one still available if interested....

Knowing how much you like Ovations, that is the perfect mando for you. You have come a long way from that one you bought in Massachusetts.

One day, I'll get that Luna I've been looking at. :wink:

Knowing how much you like Ovations, that is the perfect mando for you. You have come a long way from that one you bought in Massachusetts.

One day, I'll get that Luna I've been looking at. :wink:

Thanks Gary!

The interest has always been there and you helped to get me started :baimun:

I don't like the Ovation aesthetics at all, but the few I've played were a piece of cake to play and I really like the idea of a guitar-shaped mando. I'm torn on it myself, but I'm glad you're digging it.

Ovations are a love/hate thing, I think. I personally have liked them, though the rounded back doesn't work with my rounded belly. I owned an Applause that I loved and had considered an Ovation a few years ago. Not traditional, but cool.

HNMD. I have a few mando's and tend to favour a more traditional carved/solid build for acoustic tone. I've looked at the Ovations a few times, Matt Smith was an endorsing artist for a while, but there were some issues about access to the battery compartment that was a bit of a turn-off.

A few years ago I was rambling through the aisles at NAMM and found myself in a bit of an out-of-the-way spot. There was a lonely Ovation display setup with a sole mandolin. Needing to rest my feet I sat down and decided to fiddle with it a bit. All I can say is DAMN! It was/is the biggest, fullest most awesome mandolin I've ever had the pleasure of fiddling with. And I've fiddled Gibson's, Webers, Breedloves, etc. and not a single one of them can hold a candle to the Ovation Adamas limited edition. Needless to say, I changed my mind about Ovation mandos after that. The price is steep, but you really do get what you pay for.

H93067000001000-00-750x750.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...as-limited-edition-acoustic-electric-mandolin

Ovations are a love/hate thing, I think. I personally have liked them, though the rounded back doesn't work with my rounded belly. I owned an Applause that I loved and had considered an Ovation a few years ago. Not traditional, but cool.

I'm more bothered by the weird looking top (is that carbon fiber?) with the leaf inlays and wonky soundholes. I like a natural look, and I can get behind a space-age look, but I don't like the combo. Bowlbacks are not fun for me to play, given my stage movement, but I'm intrigued with it on a mandolin, as that's part of the mando tradition.

Back