Hooked up a new PS4 - first impressions

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Crawled around behind the entertainment system last night and wired in the new console, it will be replacing my crapped-out blu-ray player as well as the PS3.

First impressions - much smaller and classier-looking than the PS3. Sure it's plastic, but it wouldn't look too out of place on a shelf next to hi-end audio gear.

It's silent, which is a relief. I had an early PS3 with a noisy-ass fan, man that was tiresome.

I have it going through the sound system, which I already love. Should have had the PS3 that way years ago - makes games more immersive, and no compromise for movies. The PS4 makes soothing sounds when idling in the menus. :tongue:

Next order of business will be trying out Rocksmith. :rawk:

To be fair, the PS3 did get smaller in it's 2nd Gen....
Sony-PS4-vs-PS3-Slim.jpg

Looking forward to a PS4, but there hasn't been "that" game to make me move up yet. It took Red Dead Redemption to get me into a PS3...3-1/2 years after the PS3 came out. Plus, I still use my PS3 a lot has a media server, and copy a lot of video local to the HDD to watch, neither are an option yet on the PS4 (the XBone added the former in a recent update)

To be fair, the PS3 did get smaller in it's 2nd Gen....

From what I read it was quieter too.

I was waiting to upgrade until The Golf Club came out. Then when it did I had doubts from reading all the web chatter (about the game)...but when my blu-ray player wouldn't open that prompted me to pull the trigger.

Glad I did too, my electronics shelf looks cleaner with one unit taking the place of two. And The Golf Club is turning out to be pretty great (and EA will finally have their next-gen golf game out soon).

I have found one niggle - my Logitech universal remote doesn't talk to the PS4 yet. Hopefully that will be worked out soon.

We have one in the grandson's room since Christmas. It has been powered off for the last 2 weeks due to his grades. :embarrassed:

Obviously he didn't like it so I told him,
"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."

This looks interesting

YEAH!

Oh and check out the trailer for Evolve. I think that comes out tomorrow or next week. 4 player teams hunting huge monsters in strange locales and lairs. The twist? Another player is controlling the monster, trying to defend himself. Looks so good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone want to buy a PS4? All it gets used for is Amazon and Netflix. I don't game anymore so I really don't need it

My brother in law and my best friend Luigi (Epinasty Metalworking on my FB page) are both looking. Shoot me an email or PM with your asking and I can forward it on if you'd like.

From what I read it was quieter too.

I was waiting to upgrade until The Golf Club came out. Then when it did I had doubts from reading all the web chatter (about the game)...but when my blu-ray player wouldn't open that prompted me to pull the trigger.

Glad I did too, my electronics shelf looks cleaner with one unit taking the place of two. And The Golf Club is turning out to be pretty great (and EA will finally have their next-gen golf game out soon).

I have found one niggle - my Logitech universal remote doesn't talk to the PS4 yet. Hopefully that will be worked out soon.
Not sure which remote you have, but it needs to be Blue Tooth capable to work with a Sony console. They don't use IR blasters.

Not sure which remote you have, but it needs to be Blue Tooth capable to work with a Sony console. They don't use IR blasters.

Yeah it has bluetooth - the PS3 was the same way and it work fine with it. In fact it worked great, much more reliable than the IR deals (like the stupid cable box).

I think Logitech just needs to issue an upgrade with the new protocol for PS4 (and maybe they have, I haven't checked for updates in a couple weeks.

Logitech says it's all at Sony's end, but I really don't know how much time Logitech wants to invest in solutions for Harmony remotes anymore.

None the less, I would need a IR to BT adapter, a la what they used to make for the PS3 for the Harmony One anyway and I doubt I'll get it. Another reason I'm in no rush.

What, is Logitech discontinuing Harmony remotes or something? :-\

They tried to sell the whole division off maybe a year ago. Then there were talks of discontinuing it before they put out a statement reconfirming their commitment. All I know is they have always been a hassle to get replacement parts from (often not offering any at all for simple items like AC adapters) and they really only seem to program for the "low hanging fruit."

Still, the best option out there. Though every time they revise their line, they seem less appealing to me.

Back