HOLY CRAP, PRINCE DIED!!!!!

Kravitz should embrace the comparison. He's a pretty good player and I've heard he's a super nice guy, but he also isn't exactly doing anything fresh musically.

When Lenny Kravitz was starting out record labels wouldn’t pick him up because they insisted he stop doing his own thing and focus on either being a black musician or a white musician, and they made lots of Hendrix comparisons. He ended up homeless for a while rather than cave, and probably would have died on skid row if Teena Marie hadn’t taken him in. So he HATES the Hendrix comparison.

I always thought the Hendrix comparison to be ridiculous...for both Prince and Lenny Kravitz. Just because you're black and play electric guitar, you're like Hendrix? I don't think so. Neither of them sound anything like Jimi. If I had to pick one guy who's style kinda reminds me of Jimi, it'd be Trower....the pasty white Brit, lol.

For us and people who understand electric guitar it might seem ridiculous, but for the general masses I think the comparison comes pretty easily (whether right or wrong). And it's not like the two have nothing in common.

MTV had nothing to do with music.

Historically they were way to influential for about a decade. So while we may have wished they had nothing to do with music, from the early 1980's through the mid 1990's they actually shaped popular music, laying the ground work for all the pop shit we're inflicted with today.

I always thought the Hendrix comparison to be ridiculous...for both Prince and Lenny Kravitz. Just because you're black and play electric guitar, you're like Hendrix? I don't think so. Neither of them sound anything like Jimi. If I had to pick one guy who's style kinda reminds me of Jimi, it'd be Trower....the pasty white Brit, lol.

If you read early Vernon Reid interviews and a rather cool article in a late 1980's issue of Guitar World, they did a whole thing about being a black guitar and INSTANTLY being compared to Hendrix if were playing anything close to rock. The players (including Vernon, Michael Hill, and Jean-Paul Bourelly) discussed how Jimi could be part of the comparison for a white player that played a bluesy rock style, but as a black player it was instantly assumed to be the whole of your influence and interest. Many of the players discussed spending periods avoiding Hendrix-isms to minimize the assumption. White players openly embraced the influence and comparisons, while black players felt like they were always trying to get out from the specter of Hendrix as the black guitar god. Jon Butcher discussed it lot as well, but seemingly embraced it to the point of having the Jon Butcher Axis!

It's all about the myopic perspective of the time and the seemingly primary association of black musicians playing rock being all about Jimi.

For us and people who understand electric guitar it might seem ridiculous, but for the general masses I think the comparison comes pretty easily (whether right or wrong). And it's not like the two have nothing in common.

Yup. It was like:

"Is that a black guy playing an electric guitar?"

"Why yes it is! Like Jimi Hendrix!"

Then the mind obtusely correlated the two because humans suck. :thu:

When Lenny Kravitz was starting out record labels wouldn’t pick him up because they insisted he stop doing his own thing and focus on either being a black musician or a white musician, and they made lots of Hendrix comparisons. He ended up homeless for a while rather than cave, and probably would have died on skid row if Teena Marie hadn’t taken him in. So he HATES the Hendrix comparison.

I did not know that. Not saying that I think it is right, but it does make sense considering the industry is so driven by image. If you play guitar, wear bell bottoms, have lots of creative jewelry, and have an afro you're going to get compared to Hendrix.

Just heard a blurb on the news that Prince had no will. thwap0

But his sister has asked the courts to appoint a person to oversee the estate. The estimates are his music alone is worth $500 million. Sounds like she is taking the high road. Apparently she and Prince has a big falling out a long time ago but more recently completely mended the relationship. Since he had no kids and his parents are dead she would be the closest relative.

But his sister has asked the courts to appoint a person to oversee the estate. The estimates are his music alone is worth $500 million. Sounds like she is taking the high road. Apparently she and Prince has a big falling out a long time ago but more recently completely mended the relationship. Since he had no kids and his parents are dead she would be the closest relative.
Wow, this won't end well. My estate is worth a small fraction of his, and I have a will on file at the county courthouse.

Historically they were way to influential for about a decade. So while we may have wished they had nothing to do with music, from the early 1980's through the mid 1990's they actually shaped popular music, laying the ground work for all the pop shit we're inflicted with today.

They were merely the conduit for the crap record companies wanted to inflict on us. While payola was illegal in radio MTV was strictly play for pay. While an established artist could get on based on reputation a new artist only got on if their record company was willing to buy their way on. Any act that might cause a negative reaction never got on the air. Money was deciding everything and the moron teenagers believed everything they were told about how great those groups were by Downtown Julie Brown and company.

That worked so well with Janie Hendrix.

They were merely the conduit for the crap record companies wanted to inflict on us. While payola was illegal in radio MTV was strictly play for pay. While an established artist could get on based on reputation a new artist only got on if their record company was willing to buy their way on. Any act that might cause a negative reaction never got on the air. Money was deciding everything and the moron teenagers believed everything they were told about how great those groups were by Downtown Julie Brown and company.

Sounds like the music business to me, which barring the name and the commodity they purvey also has little to do with music.

I find this part of the Prince court recordings interesting:

The decedent has heirs whose identities and addresses need to be determined."

I assume that means he’s bought off some baby mamas over the years and the family plans to find them before proceeding with probate. Or John Nelson has more kids who don’t have contact with the Nelson family.

Living trust is where it's at!
You're absolutely right, and setting one up is on my to-do list. It's a bit expensive up front to get the trust set up, and then getting all property re-titled in the trust's name. But completely avoiding probate makes it all worthwhile.

You're absolutely right, and setting one up is on my to-do list. It's a bit expensive up front to get the trust set up, and then getting all property re-titled in the trust's name. But completely avoiding probate makes it all worthwhile.
Yep!

I doubt he would have died on skid row. His mom was on the Jeffersons and his dad was an NBC executive. They had plenty of cash.

I doubt he would have died on skid row. His mom was on the Jeffersons and his dad was an NBC executive. They had plenty of cash.

Also, his parents wouldn't have abandoned him. What's more he ended up with Lisa Bonet who he married before he became famous. He was doing okay before really breaking big.

Also, his parents wouldn't have abandoned him. What's more he ended up with Lisa Bonet who he married before he became famous. He was doing okay before really breaking big.

I actually remembered when we first heard about this Kravitz guy that Lisa Bonet married, we were all: "yeah, I'm sure he's a stellar musician! He's just gonna try and use Lisa to get famous."

As we know, her career kinda sputtered away and after the less than stellar start with his debut, Lenny took off in his own right and made some really good music (if you like him) which actually owes a deecnt debt to Prince and Hendrix in my mind, being blues, r&b, and funk infused rock (with some rather Hendrixy riffs on some of the rockers).

Back