Hobbies?

Amateur radio
Antique electronics/resto
null_zps85318bb7.jpg

Here's a couple of old Zenith TransOceanics I restored. They were considered "portable" in the 1950s. These were top of the line back then, and cost about $700 (in today's dollars). Dad grew up with one, so I found the one on the left (1951 model), restored it and gave it to him. The one on the right is mine, a late '50s model.

:cool: Nice Cherokee. I love flying but never got a license. I had two uncles that owned several airplanes through the years I flew with.

And people think guitars and gear get expensive... :zoinks:

ooof, don't even get me started....I acquired this from a friend of mine and I was hesitant for quite awhile worried about potential expenses...didn't sleep to well the first couple of weeks, but so far so good.

Old thread revival...but I never posted in it so...

I used to have a lot more hobbies but they have dwindled for various reasons
Scuba Diving and Underwater Photography...but now everything is digital and I don't want to reup. Diving went away when most of the folks I liked to dive with local stopped or moved away...and getting up at 6am on Saturday to drive 2 hrs to do a 1 hr boat ride for a 10 min dive in 50F water got less of a fun thing. Be different if I was diving in the Caymans :grin:
Fencing (the sport). Loved this one great workout but the club stopped focusing on sabre which I did and I never found another
So now it is
Guitar playing
Biking
Dog walking

Late to this thread...my other hobby, Flying

IMG_0232_zps4fe19908.jpg

very cool. i used to do a little flying back in my late teens and early twenties. my dad owned a small airport. we had a licensed Cessna pilot training center, and a charter service (this was early-late 70's.....BEFORE UPS.) and we were pretty busy. even tho i never got my license, i WAS flying a fair amount, but always with one of our pilots with me.
we had (all Cessnas, of course) 2~150's, a 172, 3~337 Skymasters and a 310R-2. it was a B L A S T.

Amateur radio
Antique electronics/resto
null_zps85318bb7.jpg

Here's a couple of old Zenith TransOceanics I restored. They were considered "portable" in the 1950s. These were top of the line back then, and cost about $700 (in today's dollars). Dad grew up with one, so I found the one on the left (1951 model), restored it and gave it to him. The one on the right is mine, a late '50s model.

very cool, steve.
hey...have you ever done a CQ for WB6ACU? :grin:

very cool, steve.
hey...have you ever done a CQ for WB6ACU? :grin:
I'd recognize that call sign in a heartbeat.

Problem is, so do many other amateur radio ops. He'd (Joe Walsh) throw his call out on the air and promptly be swamped! :) I think I'd have heart attack if he answered me back, but I'd be stoked.

Lately I've been trying to contact the ISS. Most astronauts have an AR license. If they're not busy (or asleep) they will answer you. You've just got to have your shit together, as they're moving at over 17,000 mph, about 200 miles up, so you've got to have a way to track it, especially if you can't see it.

I referee and coach soccer. I played until about two-three years ago, when age caught up with me (after 50). I coach my old > 35 men's team and referee youth club soccer and high school soccer (I've been a licensed referee for over 20 years). I also work as referee liaison for the local professional MLS team (San Jose Earthquakes).

Reactions: wok
I'd recognize that call sign in a heartbeat.

Problem is, so do many other amateur radio ops. He'd (Joe Walsh) throw his call out on the air and promptly be swamped! :) I think I'd have heart attack if he answered me back, but I'd be stoked.

Lately I've been trying to contact the ISS. Most astronauts have an AR license. If they're not busy (or asleep) they will answer you. You've just got to have your shit together, as they're moving at over 17,000 mph, about 200 miles up, so you've got to have a way to track it, especially if you can't see it.

i would think you give a call for him and see if he answers. i know he's out there and DOES answer sometimes, or he lies a lot in interviews, but that's really not like him. he's about as straight a shooter as there is.

as to the astronauts....you'd just have to talk real fast. :grin:

Kayak fishing
Cooking/grilling

I basically work 2 jobs so not as much time for hobbies. I guess I could include watching soccer. My daughter plays for a travel team and high school so I spend a good deal of time at the pitch.

Recently started refinishing one of my guitars. Enjoying it immensely.

Apart from that I play football ( soccer)

freakin' awesome......love the cobra wheel and the poster. if that's a REAL steering wheel, it's worth several THOUSAND dollars :eek:
Thanks! It's a real car wheel, but it's not a real Cobra wheel. It's a repro made by NRG; it cost $150 plus $20 for the Cobra badge.

Back