HNUVD. Happy New Used Volvo Day.

Coralkong

Alien
My Baby Jag (x-type 3.0 sport) was getting long in the tooth, and needed too much shit to get it back on the road and into good shape.

Since it is primarily my wife's car, I told her to start looking but where do you go if you have a Jaguar?

She hemmed and hawed over it, and didn't want a big payment, etc.....so she said she wanted to just get a KIA Sportage. I said fine, if that's what you want.

Of course, we went down to the dealer last night, and they had a 2016 dealer demo Sportage for $16K (20K miles on it - 2014 leftover).

They also had THIS:

2010 Volvo C70 turbo 5 cylinder cabrio. 50K miles.

I don't think the KIA dealer has much call for this sort of thing, so I could tell they were Jonesing to sell it. They offered me (sight unseen) $3K for my Jaguar, lights on the dash and all. SOLD.

And which car do you think we ended up with?
:wink:

It really is a beautiful car, and for all practical purposes. VERY well-appointed, appears brand new with all the bells and whistles. These are stock photos, but it's the same color as these are.
volvo c70_2.jpg
Volvo c70.jpg
volvo c70_3.jpg
volvo c70_4.jpg

This is me at the dealership waiting for my wife to sign all the paperwork.

And yeah, I know she's a hamster, but I must say.....she's kind of hot. You know....for being a hamster and all. OK, let's face it.....probably would.

kia_hamster.jpg

Last edited:
HNCD
They get great reviews. IIRC the only ding against them is they don't get particularly great mileage.

Thanks, everybody. It's a bit different than what I am used to driving, but it really isn't for me, so.....

It is a pretty cool car, though. Nice highway cruiser for sure.

I've always liked the looks of the C70.

Those and the C30 hatchbacks are really beautiful cars, in my book :)

HNCD
They get great reviews. IIRC the only ding against them is they don't get particularly great mileage.

It's not terrible gas mileage, but certainly not awesome. Low to high 20's, city/highway.

They do suffer from torque-steer. It's very noticeable if you mash the gas whipping out into traffic from a stop sign or what have you.

It's a contraption, I can tell you that much.

I hope to God nothing ever goes wrong with it or that it ever gets out of alignment.......

I have a friend w/ an Audi TT convertible that has been in the dealership countless times for the top mechanisms not operating in synch. IIRC, they use a series of sensors & motors to automatically lower the windows a half inch (if up), raise the boot covers, un-latch the top, retract or lower the top, close the boot covers, return the windows to their orig position. They've replaced a motors and sensors and can't figure out why it works for about 2 weeks after service then goes back to intermittent operation.

...so if any motor or sensor in this elaborate dance fails, the top won't raise or lower properly and he as to get out, open the trunk to bleed the pressure from the hydraulics and do the dance manually....like so:
aGsLF7Noc0hx4AYKkrXoq7IZu56dupa7VRa6Sn9Z0cVtZYPC8szEjKFwc6KgI7_y-BLIHayjOMtUqS7_io477lA3MJxirvodiTflObbC2lP8qhNXqLDPLQisf69M-M5m_kEdO_mTLhcj8XC90hlK9qqbJ2Uemfx1oAaqkqFYQAqzab4ET_vlJRhR0yNycmxXUN-IeBe6geAGs25sR3k5logCpknLBg-tp2709B13z75EXPCXg_SaGi0DIkehcbJ1J5R_UNjGi4qcj7al1ak8Xlbs6JhIm8_ze4PwTis1sevRN1x_CvwNKDyGE3gcGaF5WuaMcJaPBD12S53x3IT7sjdbZnvEFjHRsQn88p6KKVt-1JqPYsHWk2jU7p8WMmbAVAAKuLDDomsfscZW61SHR5bd_X7ucbmM9eX9cTD7LlVCDt3dJ6Y2SrxiJ-vUHgSTSHtpkexXWRtWDCh0Dl_Xwf5LxO_FwB-SWQ6nArV7-zGvhEB62F9ryVNBcPhWNDvMUyEVo4dNguQincuNaXWbvVbPRWeyloYMzukBNV07izow_Z-7hOYEP6xiOJtRLyqq6C7wb7XAoGSeIgWFfeBahdg0L7K3SSTjRAWzRObXlGOdjH2Pmrt-QQ=w1318-h988-no

Everytime he would do this, I'd be glad I have a manual top that opens or closes in about 8 seconds :grin:

I have a friend w/ an Audi TT convertible that has been in the dealership countless times for the top mechanisms not operating in synch. IIRC, they use a series of sensors & motors to automatically lower the windows a half inch (if up), raise the boot covers, un-latch the top, retract or lower the top, close the boot covers, return the windows to their orig position. They've replaced a motors and sensors and can't figure out why it works for about 2 weeks after service then goes back to intermittent operation.

...so if any motor or sensor in this elaborate dance fails, the top won't raise or lower properly and he as to get out, open the trunk to bleed the pressure from the hydraulics and do the dance manually....like so:
aGsLF7Noc0hx4AYKkrXoq7IZu56dupa7VRa6Sn9Z0cVtZYPC8szEjKFwc6KgI7_y-BLIHayjOMtUqS7_io477lA3MJxirvodiTflObbC2lP8qhNXqLDPLQisf69M-M5m_kEdO_mTLhcj8XC90hlK9qqbJ2Uemfx1oAaqkqFYQAqzab4ET_vlJRhR0yNycmxXUN-IeBe6geAGs25sR3k5logCpknLBg-tp2709B13z75EXPCXg_SaGi0DIkehcbJ1J5R_UNjGi4qcj7al1ak8Xlbs6JhIm8_ze4PwTis1sevRN1x_CvwNKDyGE3gcGaF5WuaMcJaPBD12S53x3IT7sjdbZnvEFjHRsQn88p6KKVt-1JqPYsHWk2jU7p8WMmbAVAAKuLDDomsfscZW61SHR5bd_X7ucbmM9eX9cTD7LlVCDt3dJ6Y2SrxiJ-vUHgSTSHtpkexXWRtWDCh0Dl_Xwf5LxO_FwB-SWQ6nArV7-zGvhEB62F9ryVNBcPhWNDvMUyEVo4dNguQincuNaXWbvVbPRWeyloYMzukBNV07izow_Z-7hOYEP6xiOJtRLyqq6C7wb7XAoGSeIgWFfeBahdg0L7K3SSTjRAWzRObXlGOdjH2Pmrt-QQ=w1318-h988-no

Everytime he would do this, I'd be glad I have a manual top that opens or closes in about 8 seconds :grin:

Yeah, that exact thought crossed my mind.
And yeah, that mechanism sounds very similar. It's an engineering ballet, for sure.

Back