HNUPD - Boss '63 Fender Reverb

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
The deal came through off of CL. Picked it up last night but I haven't had a chance to mess with it much yet. I will so later today. Really looking forward to it.

FRV -1 and Box - S.jpg
FRV-1 - S.jpg

Funny how GAS sometimes turns into reality...

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/boss-fender-63-reverb-gas.74083/

I am really enjoying this pedal. The instructions gave two sample settings (surf and blues) and the settings really are nice. I did backdown on the 'Mixer' level to blend the sound better for me. After trying it with a couple of my amps, the pedal does react a little different with each amp and guitar so minor tweaks are necessary when using. I won't be using the pedal live until my Feb 20 gig with Johnna and G Allstars but I look forward to see how it will react.

When I back off the volume knob the reverb reduces slightly and when I bump the volume control up, full bore output - nice. Makes you wonder what it might sound like in a live room under my control. I did already hear it under someone else's control which is what got me interested.

After playing for a year or so on amps that don't have a built-in reverb, I started using my Tech 21 Trademark 10 this month and realized how much I miss having reverb...

I like that Boss gives suggested settings for their pedals. At least you can get close to something that you want, and tweak them from there.

I went to a pro jam last night where my friend Tommy Harkenrider was playing in the house band. He too had one and I remember he used a few years ago. Took a look at his settings just to compare what I was using at home, very similar except the tone control. I like to look at others settings and do a comparison to what I favor. I tend to find lots of similarities.

The only pedal I never found similar was how some use the TS9 Tube Screamer. That has so many variations that I take note of how others are using it and try it at home. I guess coming from a heavy rock back ground I never see a pedal used in a different light until a few years ago. Always learning, always.

I wish that I had "real" musicians that I could talk with, and learn little details like this. Unfortunately, in my humble circle of friends, I am probably the most advanced musician, and I say that in all humility, because my own skills leave a lot to be desired. I love playing with others, and just because none of us are pros, it doesn't diminish the fun one little bit. Feel free to show me pics of any of your pedal setting. :grin:

I wish that I had "real" musicians that I could talk with, and learn little details like this. Unfortunately, in my humble circle of friends, I am probably the most advanced musician, and I say that in all humility, because my own skills leave a lot to be desired. I love playing with others, and just because none of us are pros, it doesn't diminish the fun one little bit. Feel free to show me pics of any of your pedal setting. :grin:

I have no problem with that. Just ask me what pedal you are interested and if I own it and using it, I will show you.

For starters, here are my Reverb and TS808 settings. I will adjust to the room that I play. The sound I replicate with these two pedals is what I hear with the West Coast Blues sound. Think Ronnie Earl, Hollywood Fats, etc. The sound will change from guitar to guitar - hence - Strat, LP with P90's, Tele, Gretsch, etc.

Hope that helps.

Pedal Settings - Reverb TS-808 - S.jpg

Funny you should mention Ronnie Earl. I recently have heard some of his music, and it's totally knocking me out.

Thank you for sharing your settings with me/us MS, and I will definitely hit you up for more.

Funny you should mention Ronnie Earl. I recently have heard some of his music, and it's totally knocking me out.

Thank you for sharing your settings with me/us MS, and I will definitely hit you up for more.

Unsure what kind of amp you are using but here some tips for settings using this setup. Tone controls all at 12 o'clock. Mild adjustment as necessary. Use the pickupselector and tone controls on the guitar for overall audible tone change. If you only have a master volume, adjust for desired volume. If you have two knobs - preamp and master, put master around 6, adjust preamp as being your overall volume. Using lower wattage amps will help you get to the sweet spot of the amp sooner.

Thanks MS. My primary amp is the Fender DRRI, so it only has a volume control. Recently, though, I bought a Juice Box attenuator on Reverb, so that I could find the sweet spot of the amp without blowing out the windows, and that's made a big difference. It has also made me rethink some of my pedal setting - if I was able to tweak the amp and get a better tone, maybe I needed to tweak my pedals a bit, too. That's the place where I am right now. The funny part of this is that most of my guitar playing is in church, where I play an acoustic. Only on occasion will I play an electric. Most of my electric playing (a lot of classic rock) is for my own enjoyment at home. Still, I like to get a good sound, and get as close to the original artist's effects as I possibly can.

Thanks MS. My primary amp is the Fender DRRI, so it only has a volume control. Recently, though, I bought a Juice Box attenuator on Reverb, so that I could find the sweet spot of the amp without blowing out the windows, and that's made a big difference. It has also made me rethink some of my pedal setting - if I was able to tweak the amp and get a better tone, maybe I needed to tweak my pedals a bit, too. That's the place where I am right now. The funny part of this is that most of my guitar playing is in church, where I play an acoustic. Only on occasion will I play an electric. Most of my electric playing (a lot of classic rock) is for my own enjoyment at home. Still, I like to get a good sound, and get as close to the original artist's effects as I possibly can.

I would tweak the amp last and only tweak as necessary for the room you are playing. With a Fender DRRI, I wouldn't worry about using the juice box unless you were trying to get a uniform amp setting all the time. Don't get me wrong as I do love attenuators when used to get power amp distortion but I personally have found that I love headroom more and use my pedals to do most of the work. Of the recent shows of West Coast players that I have been going to and chatting with (besides looking at their gear) almost all of them are running some kind of OD and a 20-30 watt amp - all for clean headroom. It is funny how they use outboard Reverb (63 pedal or Reverb tank) all prior to the amp. All of the amps I have seen the reverb is off or they are a Tweed with no reverb. Hence the reverb also adds some drive to the signal. I know that Tank adds some compression to the signal when you bump the guitar volume up and the tank is also an added gain stage - slight but still a gain stage.

Personally I have discovered that running the pedals tone controls at 12 o'clock allows me to use the natural tone of the instrument. I will tend to bump things up if I need it to be more active. Usually I do that for my rock sounds which is completely different pedal board.

You will need to develop different settings for playing rock vs blues. You have read my threads and sadly gear all have different textures and tones that may or may not overlap. Most likely it will not overlap hence why some have gone to the all in one type of pedals (ie: Line 6, Boss). Personally I like control and the ability to tweak in a live setting.

Ronnie Earl is, along with Roy Buchanan, one of the greatest almost-unknown blues guitarists of all time.

Back