HNPD - BBE Mind Bender Chorus/Vibrato

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
I have been wanting one for a while and would search ebay for one but never bit on it. Well this past Saturday I went to my local Sam Ash for some Dunlop Straploks. Looked in the used pedal case and behold, a used BBE Mind Bender for $49. So I look into the new pedals and there was a close out for $59. Well I gave the new a try and bought. The biggest difference other than the warranty was having the power supply and the box if I ever decided to flip it,

How does it sound? I love it. What influenced me to check it out was that Elliot Easton uses it and it is a much different sounding chorus from my TC's. The other thing that I like is that at a flip of a switch the unit becomes a vibrato unit. Kind of two pedals in one. Where will it go, onto the Country/Rock board that I am currently rebuilding.

1 - Mind Bender Box - S.jpg

2 - Revealed - S.jpg

3 - The Mind Bender - S.jpg

I've looked at that pedal a number of times, and I really like the concept. Maybe some day, but for now, HNPD!

I didn't get that far into the video, I just skipped around. Is that seriously what they used?
No, but it sounds like it. They all do.

Or "Here's my $8,700 20-watt head into my $3,000 2x12 cabinet recorded with my flip phone right up next to the grill cloth." FRRPPP FRRPPP FRPPP FRPPPP FART FART FRAPPPPPP "Listen to that tone!!!"

I didn't get that far into the video, I just skipped around. Is that seriously what they used?

According to the notes on the video this is what was used.

"Here's the BBE Mind Bender doing some lush, clean tones with a G&L Legacy and Marshall JCM 800. The Mind Bender won the Guitar World Platinum Award."

If that were some guy in his basement showing a new piece of gear he bought that would be one thing, but that was the BBE video. Spend a little cash on your demo.

BBE is local here. At one point I had a visitor from them who was curious about possibly using our space for videos and whatnot but as you can see that never happened.

Yes, the guitar in the video is definitely a smidge out of tune, but with that chorus engaded, it is magnified ten fold. All chorus effects do this to varying degrees, but something about the depth of that one makes it extreme.

Back in the day, I used such heavy amounts of chorus (especially when playing with AFOS), that I would put my tuner AFTER the chorus (except for the chorus circuit on the JC 120s) in order to mitigate the unpleasant side effects of using so much.

You would be shocked at just how nuch difference that made.

Yes, the guitar in the video is definitely a smidge out of tune, but with that chorus engaded, it is magnified ten fold. All chorus effects do this to varying degrees, but something about the depth of that one makes it extreme.

Back in the day, I used such heavy amounts of chorus (especially when playing with AFOS), that I would put my tuner AFTER the chorus (except for the chorus circuit on the JC 120s) in order to mitigate the unpleasant side effects of using so much.

You would be shocked at just how nuch difference that made.
I've never tried the tuner after the chorus. I would have thought that it would freak the tuner out and not give an accurate reading.

Back