HNLD (Happy New Lens Day)

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
This arrived this afternoon: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

IMG_297231.jpg

I bought it as an upgrade to the Nikon kit lens. I haven't really had any time to mess with it but the reviews are pretty flattering and it seems well built. I'm looking forward to messing around with it this weekend.

I did get one shot this afternoon:

DSC_0045.jpg

Cool. Sigma makes some really great stuff. I LOVE the 50 mm f1.4 I have from them.

I've got just enough photo gear to get me in trouble if I start to take it seriously.

HNLD dmn23!

Congrats. When the finances allow, try some of Sigma's prime lens. The 35mm 1.4 and the new 50 1.4 are outstanding.

I bought the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 a while back and I like it very much, but I really enjoy the flexibility of the zooms.

I only bought my Nikon D5100 about 18 months ago and I'm discovering that photographers are almost worse than guitarists about gear. There might be an airtight argument that I'm going to get better photos with a prime but 1) they're limiting for the stuff I usually like to shoot, and 2) no one looking at my photos is going to tell the difference. Everything in this gallery was shot with the cheapo kit 18-55mm lens and I've been happy with the results: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59324714@N06/

To my way of thinking it's kind of like listening to a song and trying to tell whether it's a Suhr Tele being used or just a cheap MIM Fender. I certainly can't do it and I don't know if anyone else can either.

HNLD!

Cool. Sigma makes some really great stuff. I LOVE the 50 mm f1.4 I have from them.
Is yours the EX? I was just reading a review about the new one, the ART. Both seem to be really good. I'm in need of a good fixed length portrait lens, and that one's on the short list.

HNLD!

Is yours the EX? I was just reading a review about the new one, the ART. Both seem to be really good. I'm in need of a good fixed length portrait lens, and that one's on the short list.

Yeah, I have the EX version. It is my current favorite lens. Really sharp pictures and fantastic bokeh. You can literally take pics by candlelight with the darn thing.

If anything, it is actually BETTER than the online reviews….which is a very rare thing.

Last edited:
I have the Sigma 18-250 DC HSM f3.5.....great walk around lens. and I recently got a Vivitar 85mm f1.4 full manual lens. like it, can't wait for some stuff to start blooming/growing.

Wow, that focused right on the very closest thorn, didn't it? Nice pickup, man. Last lens I bought was a 105mm for my K-1000 :embarrassed:

Back