HNID! New Interface and review/comparison

OGG

Master of the Meh
So I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 yesterday to use in the studio. I needed something fast, low to zero latency, with more than two assignable outputs, USB powered.

This thing fit all the requirements for $200 at GC.

I am not disappointed. It is lightning fast (USB 2.0), has fantastic mic pre's, two sets of assignable stereo outputs as well as an assignable headphone output. 1 set of stereo inputs for XLR or 1/4" is the only small limiting factor, but it is all I need. It also has it's own MIDI in and out which is a big bonus.

Build quality is stout, very sturdy. Sound quality is fantastic. Compared to my Lexicon and my Presonus Firebox, it is as good or better that either. The Mic Pre's are superior to both. It has more functionality than either, and is much, much faster. The difference is shocking. Even with the Firewire on the Presonus, this thing smokes it, and having a monitor mix control like the Lambda is awesome. Te lack of which on the Firebox, is big downer.

The drummer and I plugged my Juno Gi into it yesterday and fired up the DAW, and made several new backing tracks. Even with the limited resources of my laptop (AMD DUAL CORE, 4GB RAM), it was super fast and did all of the heavy lifting. Running multiple soft synths and effects plug ins, didn't pose any challenge at all.

It will come in very handy for live performances where we use syncopated synth tracks and a click for the drummer to follow. Between it, and the laptop, it is a portable solution that is super capable.

I can't recommend this thing enough. It flat out slays anything even close to it in price. The fact that it is so portable means I can take it to and from the studio to home and use it at both easily.

Anybody want to buy a Lambda or a Firebox? I think they are both great units in their own way, but I can't see myself ever using them again.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I almost grabbed one of those when my Lambda died, but ended up with the Native Instruments unit instead. Sounds like I would've been just as happy with the focusrite as I am with the ni.

HNID!

Reactions: OGG
If the Lambda wasn't so painfully slow, I would have grabbed an Omega, but the Latency is just too much. I love the Firebox, but my laptop has no Firewire and no way to add it. Plus, the Firebox is shit for trying to monitor what you are recording.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Everything else was really great about it. I haven't had any issues at all with the ni unit yet, though I'm not using much in the way of multiple soft synths or anything.

Do they make a version with eight XLRs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I was looking at one of these when I thought my Mbox mini wouldn't work with Win 8.1. If I had read this review I would have just bought one and not gone back to try again :thu:

Back