HNGNBD for Home Built Saint Tele

the problem is the pot values. the bridge pup will get ice picky with 500k pots, and the neck humbucker will sound like mud with 250k pots. i've already been through this. the 4 way switch adds an "in-series" option that combines the pickups to produce a virtual humbucker. it rips, and you still get all 3 traditional tele tones.

Not to mention a single coil will ALWAYS sound better in the neck position. :tongue:

In the sixties, Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster and Jaguar necks were interchangable.
You're saying you built a guitar with a neck from one after-market company, and are changing it with another.
Are the mounting holes going to line up? That could get tricky, and that's the heart of your guitar.
I'd use four more screws under the back neck plate, to get it good and tight,
and with this duality of tensions, possibly allow a new harmonic resonance.

For a while, everyone thought I was Bill Nitranskys' son, I almost lived in Central Music after I dropped out of high school.
Business cards and cigarette packs were the shim materials of choice, Fenders being so assembly lined up.
That's starting from 1970, and I changed necks between guitars.
A lot of guys kept Teles and Strats going by changing necks from parts guitars, Jazzmasters and Jaguars.
It might be hard for you to imagine Leo Fender and his quality control, and how you can finish one of those guitars.

For a while, everyone thought I was Bill Nitranskys' son, I almost lived in Central Music after I dropped out of high school.
Business cards and cigarette packs were the shim materials of choice, Fenders being so assembly lined up.
That's starting from 1970, and I changed necks between guitars.
A lot of guys kept Teles and Strats going by changing necks from parts guitars, Jazzmasters and Jaguars.
It might be hard for you to imagine Leo Fender and his quality control, and how you can finish one of those guitars.

Leo Fender sold the company to CBS in 1965.

Woooo hoooooooooooooo.............

Well the UPS truck pulled up not to long ago and I just got my new neck, pickguard and tuners for the Tele rebuild. Sorry for the pic quality as I took these with my iPhone.

The Fretboard for the new Tele neck

TeleNeckFront.jpg

The back of the neck

TeleNeckRear.jpg

The new pickguard

Pickguard.jpg

I remember reading about several wiring schemes for humbucker/single coil combos where a resistor is added to change the value of a pot from 500K in humbucker mode, to 250k (or there about) in single coil mode. I think some suhrs are wired this way, but if you google search for lowering pot values with resistors, you probably can find some homebrew circuits that do it. The idea is to provide the best possible pot values for each pickup combo. I've never done it, but I ordered some resistors to try it out on my next project. Resistors are like pennies per unit, so it is kind of surprising that more companies don't use this idea. Maybe it is crapola, but I'm keen to give it a try.

Last edited:
Back