HNGD… with a question…

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
44FFB6FE-6A9D-4A60-BAB0-7C4273EBB391.jpg

I posted this as in a “hot or not” thread the other day. I ended up picking it up at a local store. It’s really fun to play and very different for me. I ordered a bridge humbucker for it, but I might just keep it as is for now. It’s fun to have different tonal possibilities.

That being said, I can’t get the damn thing to intonate. I changed the strings(came with 10’s) to 9s. I get all of the strings in tune, but if I play a chord, it is out of tune.

I tried adjusting the saddles by doing the following:

-Plugged into a tuner
-Played a harmonic at the 12th fret and get it tuned dead on
-Played the same note by fretting at the 12th fret
-If it's flatter than the harmonic, I moved the saddle towards the neck (& vice-versa)

I worked on it for over 2 hours last night and it’s just not getting there.

Someone told me to check the nut so I have to try that… but can anyone give me some additional ideas?

HNGD! Hopefully someone else can help you with intonation; I have a guy who sets my stuff up for me.

HNGD...

Play the open note, then fret at the 12th...and adjust accordingly... don't bother with the harmonic at all...

Check the neck straightness and flatness first. Check intonation at 5th, 7th, and 12th compared to open.

If the nut is off it won't intonate well no matter what. I just installed an earvana nut on an import tele and it made a huge difference.

Make sure your strings are stretched out enough before you start intonating anything. If they're still stretching, you won't get a good reading on the tuner. As mentioned above, the nut is the second culprit.

I would just return it now and save yourself the trouble of getting the intonation right and then selling it inside a week anyways. Not your kind of guitar.

I dropped guitar off at the store this morning and had a couple people look at it while I was there. Including a guy who actually used to work at Ibanez and quality control. They couldn't figure it out. They are either going to order me a new one or have this one receive a complete set up.

I know I shouldn't be but I'm amazed at the number of new guitars my students buy that have to go back for some kind of repair or setup. Although the last 3 guitars I bought from GC (two CV Squiers and an Epiphone Joe Pass) all needed serious work before I considered them playable and my daughters guitar was a complete clusterfuck.

Just for future reference, if you ever suspect that the nut's the problem, put a capo on the first fret and intonate using the empty string (now first fret) and the 13th fret. Obviously they'll both be a semi-tone sharper than normal. If you can get it all nicely intonated that way and then when the capo comes off it all turns to shit, you can be pretty sure where the problem's coming from.

I know I shouldn't be but I'm amazed at the number of new guitars my students buy that have to go back for some kind of repair or setup. Although the last 3 guitars I bought from GC (two CV Squiers and an Epiphone Joe Pass) all needed serious work before I considered them playable and my daughters guitar was a complete clusterfuck.

I was telling Chuck, the person that I bought the guitar from, that I was shocked about this. I told him about the recent problems I had with the Charvel that I bought. If you remember, musicians friend to send me four different guitars before I finally just said screw it and I bought the guitar from a different vendor and make sure to check the guitar out before providing it to me. Musicians friend didn't seem to check any of the guitars and they all have problems. I find this more with lesser expensive guitars. I never had this problem with any music man or Suhr

I was telling Chuck, the person that I bought the guitar from, that I was shocked about this. I told him about the recent problems I had with the Charvel that I bought. If you remember, musicians friend to send me four different guitars before I finally just said screw it and I bought the guitar from a different vendor and make sure to check the guitar out before providing it to me. Musicians friend didn't seem to check any of the guitars and they all have problems. I find this more with lesser expensive guitars. I never had this problem with any music man or Suhr
Musicians Friend doesn't check any of their stock. To expect different is ridiculous.

Back