Dig it! HNG(kit)D and continuing build thread.

Be interested in how the Toneriders work out.

I've used some of their single coils (City Limits set in my Strat clone, and their Hot Classics tele set into my Yamaha 402S) and been very happy with both but have no experience with their humbuckers and I need a bridge humbucker for a project in the next couple of months (money permitting).

I went with the alnico IV since they're supposed to have a compacter sonic profile. Last I need I think on a semi hollow basswood body would be for the pickups to be thick and boomy.

I'll post clips at any rate and let you know.

Progress for today, tomorrow it should live and breath.

Muhahahaha.

Screenshot_2015-05-20-19-28-48.png

Screenshot_2015-05-20-19-28-40.png

Soldering is almost finished, just the Output Jack and hooking up the pickups, mounting the rings needs done as well. That's why they're crooked, you don't need to tell me :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-20-19-28-48.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-20-19-28-48.png
    360.3 KB · Views: 39
Sounding: yes
Playing: no

Frets are okay, neck is nice, bridge is too high. Learned a lesson that I should have checked with a straightedge before installing the strings.

I'm gonna have to route underneath the bridge a bit maybe about 3 mm. But I'm very happy with the tone of those toneriders and the guitar in general.

How much deeper does the bridge have to go?
I haven't measured yet, but I guesstimate about 3mm and actually about 2mm to the right since the strings aren't lined up well. As far as going deeper I could get away with grinding the saddles I believe since they are pretty thick suckers. Moving it over will be a whole other animal.

So, it's been a while since I updated here though I've been almost done for a while.

As I stated before, When I originally "finished" this, the bridge needed to be lowered, I bought a Dremil and went to work and had it working finewith the exception that the bass strings were still about a millimeter or so too high. Like a cheap acoustic setup. It was playable but not an all around enjoyment unless you were just playing base position things.

I finally got that settled out about a week ago and found time this morning to record a clip (for the first time in forever playing along to something so keep that in mind. @mystixboi1 said I should make a clip so here it is:

First to be heard is the neck with a bit of delay and a Phaser, the diddly bits over top are the middle postion until the keyboards come in, then its the neck again untl the 2:embarrassed:0 mark, there I play a bit with the bridge "clean" and then when the full band comes with dirt in the bridge.

Anyways, it's been a great learning experience and I recommend it for a guitarist and I have to say, the guitar itself is great, intonation is spot on, I wish I could have finished it a bit better, but if I did it might not sing as it does.

Screenshot_2015-09-15-13-37-14[1].png
Screenshot_2015-09-15-13-37-03[1].png
Screenshot_2015-09-15-13-36-24[1].png
Screenshot_2015-09-15-13-36-51[1].png

Loving the tone on that! Do you keep the trem locked down or does that do a decent job of staying in tune?

Loving the tone on that! Do you keep the trem locked down or does that do a decent job of staying in tune?
Locked down mostly. I tried the trem out for a bit and it seemed okay but the arm is weird, way too high from the body for me, also there was no tonal difference from locked or floating that I could hear.

Locked down mostly. I tried the trem out for a bit and it seemed okay but the arm is weird, way too high from the body for me, also there was no tonal difference from locked or floating that I could hear.

So not your preference, but usable if you need it. Good to know those Overlord trems aren't complete junk (based on a sample review of 1!)

So not your preference, but usable if you need it. Good to know those Overlord trems aren't complete junk (based on a sample review of 1!)
Tonally okay, like I said I tried it a bit, but I'm not a trem guy I would have loved a hardtail version of thed bridge like they have for the basses if there was such a thing for guitar.

Back