Dig it! HNG(kit)D and continuing build thread.

Knox in Box

Rustbelt refugee.
So,

I've been toying with the idea of doing one of those cheap guitar kits from GFS or so that you see on their site. I found a place over here that sells them. I originally wanted to do a 335 build but was turned off by the fact that the lumber was pre sealed, I would have to drill the TOM bridge myself and it came with gold hardware which would really limit my finishing options. So I thought of a thinline tele but that didn't sound hollow enough. Nice middle ground though, and has its purpose, but not what I was looking for.

So I see this Steinberger headless semi hollow, At first I was like "Yeah, okay, whatever...". After a while it started to grow on me a bit. So My wife was asking about the website since she saw me checking them out, and she thought the steinberger to be nifty enough and I was intrigued by this thin, but I looked and it was out of stock. My wife sent the guy an Email to ask if they were to get any in anytime soon, he replied back that he would be getting some in the middle of June, but had one where someone in his guitar building course had sanded through the veneer on the top and he would give us 15% off of the 189€ plus shipping which would be €7.50. I looked at the photos he sent and found it okay, the person had sanded through by the binding so I would have to do a burst finish or paint it instead of the straight transparent orange I had envisioned. I had her offer 160€ shipped, and he took it too fast. (Should have offered 150) :)

As we can see the only maple veneer on it is plain and VERRRY thin at this point so I'll have to get my colors right and try not to sand them back too much. If I screw up I'll just paint it or do my Retronaut scheme like on the bass which just so happened to have made it into the shot.

DSC_0046.JPG

The neck
DSC_0047.JPG

My tries at finding the right color for a black cherry finish that I can burst with black.

DSC_0049.JPG

I think I'll with an 8/1 mixture of bright red and black that you see at the far lef, right next is straight red.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Whoa.... a headless hollow body steinberger copy? Where might one accquire said strangeness?

Which type of Steinberger trem is that? I imagine it's not a TransTrem.

I can tell from the pic it isn't a trans trem. It looks to be an import copy version of the R trem.

This build looks cool as hell. I can't wait to see it come together.

Thanks guys, trem is some R trem ripoff that says Overlord of Music on it which I am not happy about. Has a built in lock though and seems solid. I'm not a big trem user anyway, so the biggest thing is that it is solid and doesn't rob the tone. We'll see, as I said it's very solid.

Tried to dye the top today but those spots took no dye at all, I tried sanding them a bit but that just made the spots bigger, so I got some high quality spray white. Looks like I'll probably do the Retronaut theme again. But this time with a flat clearcoat instead of trying to get a gloss.

Also made the mistake of not protecting the inside and got red dye in there, so I dyed the inside black now.

Oh well, learning as I go. Good thing is, my tru oil alternative seems to be working well on the neck.

So, went ahead and ditched the idea of dyeing the top and started painting the top white over the last few days.

What the dye job looked like:

Screenshot_2015-04-29-13-59-27.png

Now with white gloss prepping for the waterslide decals.

Screenshot_2015-04-29-13-59-19.png

My neck which I did with a homebrew recipe for tru oil:

Screenshot_2015-04-29-13-58-51.png

In the future I would use the normal Tru oil because this take much too long to build up and dry. Love the color though. I may do the first few Coats of my eventual Les Faux project with it, as long as the normal stuff would take to it. I don't see why not.

Question: Does Anyone know where I could get a cheap forearm guard like on the old reverends? Or any kind of alternative?

I could get one from the Göldo website, but 75 bones for a non essential part for a kit guitar is just silly.

Question: Does Anyone know where I could get a cheap forearm guard like on the old reverends? Or any kind of alternative?

I could get one from the Göldo website, but 75 bones for a non essential part for a kit guitar is just silly.

Reverend sells the armrest kit for $20 on their site, but don't know if they will ship overseas and what the cost is.

EDIT: appears they do for only ten bucks :)

Now to find out if it would fit the Radius of this somehow.

Anyone have a reverend with an armrest that would be willing to trage out the outline of where the armrest is and scan it?

Back