HNCPD (Happy New Capo Day)

BrammyH

Grandpa Whine
The capo I had was some cheap piece of shit that constantly made the strings go sharp, so I'd have to tune the guitar to the capo. This was getting to be a pain if I needed to switch tunings.

I got one of the G7 Newport Capos where I can adjust the tension. This thing rocks. Once I get the tension set for the guitar I use it on, I can take it off, change positions (that's what she said) without any tuning issues.

Sounds pretty cool. I've never had a problem with the plain G7 making the strings go sharp, but the Newport version sounds like a good solution for those who do.

How did a G7 make your strings go sharp? It's not one preset tension.... you just set it across the strings and then apply pressure as if you're playing a chord. Squeeze it as soft or as tight as you want. :shrug:

I just bought my dad a G7 performance capo today for xmas. I need to get one for myself. The Kyser capo I have always takes the guitar out of tune.

How did a G7 make your strings go sharp? It's not one preset tension.... you just set it across the strings and then apply pressure as if you're playing a chord. Squeeze it as soft or as tight as you want. :shrug:

I was gonna say. But I didn't.

It's generally pretty easy to clamp it tight, but not too tight. I only run into trouble when I use the G7 on the electric guitars because of the lighter strings, and it can take a bit of fiddling to get it just so.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

The OLD capo was the one that sharped the strings. It had one setting: vice grip.

The G7 works great and I can adjust the tension perfectly.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

The OLD capo was the one that sharped the strings. It had one setting: vice grip.

The G7 works great and I can adjust the tension perfectly.

Ah... gotcha. I have two of the original G7 capos (now called the G7 Performance)

g7-performance-classical.jpg

I am interested in trying out the new G7 Performance 2 though. It's the same micro-gear system, but the release works in the opposite direction... so you pinch the capo on, then pinch the two black spots and it releases. (on the original, the little release thing pushes towards the back of the neck.) The new one is also a smidge thinner and lighter.

g7-performance2-6-string-capo.jpg

I learned recently to put the capo on the fret, not behind it.
No more tuning issues.

I put mine just behind the fret.... a little better tone than right on the fret but there's more firmness to the string right there than in the middle of the fret where it gets a little more "springy" and will go out of tune with too much pressure.

I use a Kyser on my acoustic without any tuning issues, but the extra string tension sees to that.

On my electric I got a Planet Waves capo with the tension adjustment and it has worked wonderfully.

Some people call is a Kyser capo, I call it a sling capo....
Me too, because I get so frustrated with it I sling it across the room and use my Shubb. :grin:

I have used just about every capo out there but keep coming back to the Shubb. though I use a Paige on the 12-string. I don't have the hand grip for the Keysers; I end up needing 2 hands to put it on the guitar.

Back