HNAD A Very Special Pragestock Edition: QUILTER!

Yeah, it sounded really good. I wish I had applied through it a bit more myself, or tried it with an A/E.

T... WILL GET VERY LOUD (when I first powered it up, baimun was setting up his pedal board about six feet in front of it...oops! :grin: ),

What? :embarrassed:

Yeah.... I'm crouched down plugging shit in and I've got this really loud solid state amp on one side of me... and Jelloman's EL84 amp up WAY too loud on the other side. Fuckin' ears were ringing and I had only been there an hour.

One thing that I bring to my band situation is that I've spent many years running sound for bands so I know how to keep my stage volume at a reasonable level (I can talk to my drummer while we're playing) and dial in PA sound. It's fun to crank amps up to hear them unwind.... I just don't like standing 3 feet in front of them while it's happening. :embarrassed:

Yeah.... I'm crouched down plugging shit in and I've got this really loud solid state amp on one side of me... and Jelloman's EL84 amp up WAY too loud on the other side. Fuckin' ears were ringing and I had only been there an hour.

One thing that I bring to my band situation is that I've spent many years running sound for bands so I know how to keep my stage volume at a reasonable level (I can talk to my drummer while we're playing) and dial in PA sound. It's fun to crank amps up to hear them unwind.... I just don't like standing 3 feet in front of them while it's happening. :embarrassed:

That is what is so amazing about the Quilter Tone Block I use. It is similar to the Aviators clean channel and the amp has power setting on the masters dial. The highest I have gone is about 11 watts similar to my Tweed Deluxe clone, Excelsior and my Jet City. You don't really need a lot of power.

...sorry...:embarrassed:

Spent some more quality time with it last night.

This time I A/B'ed it against the C30 using the Epi 339 P90 Pro.

Findings (to my ears, anyway):

*Clean channel: Quilter > C30

Even with the difference in speaker size (8" vs. 12"), the Quilter sounds more focused and punchy, without losing much bottom end. The C30 actually sounds somewhat boxy and a bit hollow in comparison :eek:.

*Gain channel with light gain: Quilter > C30

Still, same as above, and both respond to picking attack. Not much difference, though, but still surprising.

*Gain channel with medium or more gain: C30 > Quilter

Not surprisingly, typical of tube vs. SS, the more the gain, the rattier the dirt is with an SS amp, while the tube amp sounds creamier. When the gain is past about 2 o'clock, the Quilter sounds like solid-state ass. I wouldn't be cranking the gain too high on either amp, anyway, so this category is kind of moot.

Now, put your favorite OD pedal in front of the Quilter clean channel/light gain channel, and it sounds fantastic. Same with the C30.

Bottom line: no remorse here - the Quilter does exactly what I want for my purposes, and the rest of my amps are going to be shipped out. :thu:

Back