HN(U)AD

happy new (used) amp day. well.....i ordered it and it should be here by friday.
i've been thinking of one of these for a while and was going to order a new head in the next couple weeks.
then last night i was checking the used gear on GC and this came up and with the 1x12 cabinet.

at $149.95.....i almost can't go wrong. i'll get some real pics when it comes in.

upload_2015-12-27_15-13-15.png

Cool! The Defenders are good stuff :thu:

yea....i've read good things about them. the only thing that i've read that was not good was that they are louder than other 5 watt amps..... a LOT louder.
but since i'm not interested in full on overdrive, just where the power tube starts to really 'breathe'......i'm hoping it'll be ok.

Cool looking setup. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

everything that i've read is that the gain is not linear.....there are stepped gain increases as you turn the volume knob up. we'll see how that works.
i'll be ordering some new higher end tubes for it, as i've also read that replacing the el84 and 12ax7 with a bit higher end tubes results in noticeable controlability.
we'll see.

everything that i've read is that the gain is not linear.....there are stepped gain increases as you turn the volume knob up. we'll see how that works.
i'll be ordering some new higher end tubes for it, as i've also read that replacing the el84 and 12ax7 with a bit higher end tubes results in noticeable controlability.
we'll see.
So it's a single-ended el84 amp? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to play around with.

I can run my MESA express in single-ended mode (disconnects one el84 and runs half the output transformer as single-ended). It sounds OK'ish, but it's not a mode I use often... actually ever.

I have one, and like it a lot, but it is loud for five watts. I think it is louder than the Pro Jr I used to have, and that is supposed to be 15 watts. I did replace the Kustom speaker in the cab with a Fane axa12 I had lying around, and that tightened it up quite a bit. I have thought about replacing the tubes, but after three or four years, the originals are still going strong.

I have that set up as well. It takes pedals really well and ,as mentioned, is louder than you would think. $149 is a stupid great deal.

I have that set up as well. It takes pedals really well and ,as mentioned, is louder than you would think. $149 is a stupid great deal.

well, plus shipping and tax.....just shy of $200. but still not too bad.

but what really pisses me off is how tax is added AFTER the shipping charges, so you're pay tax on shipping too. that is wrong and a frickin scam.

Back