Hmmmm.

Here in Tennessee, it is permissable to gather and consume roadkill. o_O

There are some people in this state that are seriously poor, so I suppose the law was meant to help them provide for their table. Still, there should be a better way to see to the needs of the poor.

Last edited:
A Vietnamese gentleman I worked with in California told me a story about he and his brother stopping to pick up what they believed to be a freshly run over animal that is a delicacy in Vietnam. They stopped in the middle of traffic so he could grab it and throw it in the trunk. It wasn't until they got home that they realized something was wrong. Apparently the animal they thought they found doesn't smell like the skunk that they had picked up.

There are some people in this state that are seriously poor, so I suppose the law was meant to help them provide for their table. Still, there should be a better way to see to the needs of the poor.

This is common. In many places there’s some old retired hunter who drives around picking up fresh kills to butcher and distribute to shelters, food pantries, etc.. If you ever see road kill with a mark painted on it that’s because people will drive down a road in the afternoon marking old kills and then scoop up the fresh kills next morning.

Anyway, IIRC raccoons are sold because it’s as close as the Chinese can get to raccoon dog, aka Tanuki, in the USA.

This is common. In many places there’s some old retired hunter who drives around picking up fresh kills to butcher and distribute to shelters, food pantries, etc.. If you ever see road kill with a mark painted on it that’s because people will drive down a road in the afternoon marking old kills and then scoop up the fresh kills next morning.

Anyway, IIRC raccoons are sold because it’s as close as the Chinese can get to raccoon dog, aka Tanuki, in the USA.
tanooki_mario_by_lordvanik-d39cb47.jpg

Back