hilarious conversation with my tech

You've totally freaked him out by asking for a middle position single coil rout haven't you?

What are you having done that he's so afraid of?

amazing how it took this long to get "the question". :lol:

he's removing the Graph Tech Ghost piezo system from a cheap shit Peavey and putting it into a cheap shit Ibanez. he has to make sure the string spacing is correct, route underneath the bridge for the pickup wires, add a volume control and a toggle to an already cramped electronics cavity, and find somewhere for a 9v battery. then it needs to be set-up.

i wouldn't want to do it either. which is why i gave it to him. :grin:

amazing how it took this long to get "the question". :lol:

he's removing the Graph Tech Ghost piezo system from a cheap shit Peavey and putting it into a cheap shit Ibanez. he has to make sure the string spacing is correct, route underneath the bridge for the pickup wires, add a volume control and a toggle to an already cramped electronics cavity, and find somewhere for a 9v battery. then it needs to be set-up.

i wouldn't want to do it either. which is why i gave it to him. :grin:
That's just mean... :grin:

me: hey man, you've had my guitar for...
him: forever, i know
me: dude, what's up with it
him: i'm kinda afraid of it to be honest. but i'm getting the call, so i'll work on it this weekend.
me: great, call me with any questions
him: will do

:lol:

Yeah, I'm with you. What is it with these guys? Most of them barely have a pot to piss in, but yet they also don't seem too hungry for a pay day either. The last guy I used (well qualified, factory endorsed, etc.) is more like a place guitars go to get entombed than repaired. Really, like 3 months wait or so is not uncommon. I always end up calling him multiple times, and then on the day he says "it's done", he's actually just starting to work on it (if I'm lucky) when I get there. The last time, it was 7PM on a Friday night. I drive into town, get there, it's not done. I wait while he takes care of an after hours walk in, I wait while he closes out the register and takes the cash next door, I wait while he calls a family member on the other side of the USA about his trip tomorrow, he finishes up my guitar, the built in replacement tuner is now working, but now some of the pickups are now no longer working right or at all. I go home with it to give it a try (this was a warranty repair so I had barely got it out of the box yet) but I haven't brought it back in now for about 9 months for him to finish the job. I think he's always in a bit of a hurry to get home to his bong. :facepalm:

Yeah, I'm with you. What is it with these guys? Most of them barely have a pot to piss in, but yet they also don't seem too hungry for a pay day either. The last guy I used (well qualified, factory endorsed, etc.) is more like a place guitars go to get entombed than repaired. Really, like 3 months wait or so is not uncommon. I always end up calling him multiple times, and then on the day he says "it's done", he's actually just starting to work on it (if I'm lucky) when I get there. The last time, it was 7PM on a Friday night. I drive into town, get there, it's not done. I wait while he takes care of an after hours walk in, I wait while he closes out the register and takes the cash next door, I wait while he calls a family member on the other side of the USA about his trip tomorrow, he finishes up my guitar, the built in replacement tuner is now working, but now some of the pickups are now no longer working right or at all. I go home with it to give it a try (this was a warranty repair so I had barely got it out of the box yet) but I haven't brought it back in now for about 9 months for him to finish the job. I think he's always in a bit of a hurry to get home to his bong. :facepalm:

This guy is really good, owns one of the better stores in Manhattan, and is relatively inexpensive. It's a PITA project and I would have put it off as long as possible too.

Sounds like you need to find a different tech.

What is it with these guys? Most of them barely have a pot to piss in, but yet they also don't seem too hungry for a pay day either.

I've had at least one job since I was 15. When I was young and one job didn't pay what I needed, I had two jobs.

One thing I've learned about people through managing 100's of them over the years is that not everyone is motivated by money. In fact, some are even demotivated by money. Blows my mind, but it's true.

I've also learned that every job isn't for everybody and that mapping your own job satisfaction to someone else almost never works.

At the end of the day I think this says something about the type of person who gets satisfaction out of doing guitar tech work day in and day out.

No, he's not you.

johnny-cash-middle-finger-background-i1.jpg

i find no need for humbuckers in neck teles either. with a 4 way you have a humbucker.

Yes, but it sounds way better than the neck humbucker did alone or combined with the bridge pickup. That it is wired as a virtual humbucker is a different argument.

Yes, but it sounds way better than the neck humbucker did alone or combined with the bridge pickup. That it is wired as a virtual humbucker is a different argument.

2 tele pickups in-series has more balls than a 'real' humbucker. thats my theory. My Broadcaster wired up is over 18K , compared to a minibucker is around 7K. My broadcaster blows away the 52HotRod in the neck position. plus you can adjust the heights of each pickup to give different sounds/mixes of each pickup.

and people who dont like regular tele neck pickups alone are just weirdos.
if you have a nickel-silver cover or no cover , or 500K pots it solves 99% of any problems.

Back