High End Audiophiles?...

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
My father in law was really really into vintage high end audio equipment (McIintosh, Carver, B&W, etc)

He passed away a while ago and my mother in law is looking to sell a few pieces.

One I know of is a McIntosh MA6450 100 watt per channel integrated amp.

1McIntoshMA-6450.jpg

It's in excellent condition, but the problem is Craigslist and Ebay would just bring out low ballers. Online I see ranges from $600 to 1000 for that piece but where are some good resources that could help her get the most for her money? She's retired and I just don't want to see her ripped off.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mt brother is a long time audiophile and has had the a pair of B&W speakers for 30 years and counting. If you can't get a decent amount for them, consider buying them yourself.

Yeah, I'd think a forum with a buy/sell/trade section is the way to go, but I don't know where to go for that.

Actually, ebay is probably your best bet given that anyone who is really interested in giving you top dollar is going to be scoping out the bay and their local CL for these types of items. Forums are probably not the best venue since you won't have a track record on the sites or any reputation as a seller...coming out the gate w/a $1700 buck item might not really get you the results you want. No harm in listing it on CL & seeing if you can move it for what you want and then moving on eBay if that's not successful.

Actually, ebay is probably your best bet given that anyone who is really interested in giving you top dollar is going to be scoping out the bay and their local CL for these types of items. Forums are probably not the best venue since you won't have a track record on the sites or any reputation as a seller...coming out the gate w/a $1700 buck item might not really get you the results you want. No harm in listing it on CL & seeing if you can move it for what you want and then moving on eBay if that's not successful.

Best answer so far.

I'd love to have it. Too bad that won't happen :( :) :grin:

That is a serious fucking piece of equipment.

I don't have nice enough speakers to have that, to be honest.

And that bitch and exactly "energy-efficient", you know?

Flip the switch on that bad Johnson, and watch the lights dim.

Leave that thing on all night, and I bet your electric bill goes up noticeably.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was $4500 new, if not more (back in 1993 or somewhere around there).

What's the Date of Manufacture on the back of the unit? Just curious.....

Honestly, I think that is worth far more than the $600-$1000 than you think it is worth.

Like, a LOT more.

But, I don't know the market on it.......

I know lower-# models are commanding a few times that much, so I have to believe that the higher the model #, the nicer the unit......

It is a killer amp, for sure. Uber-Power reserves, and all that shit.

Or, how to blow your fucking speakers in 3 seconds.......take your pick.
:wink:

I'm not even sure I'd WANT that. My shit isn't nice enough to accomodate it. You need a SERIOUS set of speakers to get that thing going......

Very nice, indeed.

P.S. Does he have a set of Rogers speakers, by chance (the BBC monitor series)? I'd be VERY interested in those.......best speakers I have ever heard.

Back