Hi from South Korea

A few more shots from yesterday:

upload_2018-2-16_9-4-20.png

upload_2018-2-16_9-5-49.png

Shiffrin's first run:
upload_2018-2-16_9-7-27.png

For @Theodore
upload_2018-2-16_9-8-26.png

Thank you! It's been a great experience so far.

Here's some video I shot of the NK cheerleaders... the incongruity between their cheering and everyone else's standing around was jarring.

Thank you! It's been a great experience so far.

Here's some video I shot of the NK cheerleaders... the incongruity between their cheering and everyone else's standing around was jarring.

The military unison and precision (relatively speaking), especially when they hold the face signs up, is weird. If it was an act like DEVO, it would be one thing. But at an international sporting event, and apparently intended straight up and not ironically, it freaks me out a little.

I heard someone there say that the NK cheerleaders don’t look very cheerful when they aren’t actually cheering.

I wonder if they are all scoping the exits to find the best way to defect.

By the way the North Korean cheerleading squad is Creepy. As. Fuck. I feel so bad for them.

8f50b35ba5b2a39d2bdcbb4e1efc6b9e.jpg
I wonder what their experience is like. I'm guessing it is the first time outside of N. Korea for them, so they are getting a chance to see what life in the real world is actually like. I'm sure they're kept under pretty strict control, but you have to wonder if some of them will try to defect when this is all over. :shrug:

I have seen reports from friends/acquaintances that are there that say the events on the slopes are not super well attended. It has been very, very cold, and very, very windy. Wind from Siberia. It has been hard to hold some of the events, and a lot of the skiing events have had to be rescheduled due to wind. Probably holding the numbers down. But @smurfco will know more than I.

Yeah it's very cold and windy. Also, that was the early morning first run, I think it was more crowded for the medal run which was later in the afternoon.

My co-worker went to skeleton yesterday (where I'd been the day before) and she said it was really crowded especially since the South Korean was doing well (he won gold I think).

I suspect all those cheerleaders are chosen based on how unlikely they are to defect. They probably all have big families back home they would not want to endanger.

Plus flag-waving skills, and a full set of teeth. :embarrassed:

Back