Hey, Slinger!

Theodore

I gotta move
A slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili con carne (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. Hot sauce is usually served on the side. The slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire T-bone steak.

140731slinger.jpg

When I was a teen (many years ago), there was a diner in STL that called it a "Scrambled Nightmare.". Good times, indeed.

There's something similar here in the Bay Area called "Joe's Special". I think that perhaps a breakfasty-hangover-cure egg dish is a universal cultural achievement.

Joe's_Special.jpg

As a Michiganian, posts about "Midwestern food" make me think we're more North country than Midwest. That looks delicious but exotic.

There's something similar here in the Bay Area called "Joe's Special". I think that perhaps a breakfasty-hangover-cure egg dish is a universal cultural achievement.

Joe's_Special.jpg

Love original joes. I make that at home.

But it should look like this

Joe\'s_Special_12071.jpg

chopped spinach not fresh leafy

Back