Question: Hey guys, anyone have a pine bodied Tele?

I have one that I built myself. I bought the unfinished body on ebay, sanded it by hand, and finished in with Tru Oil. It has a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones in it. The body is lighter than my alder Tele and dents more easily. But I like it a lot. I plan to build another at some point.

my primary stage guitar is pine with a carved maple top. get compliments on its tone quite often from sound guys, guitarists in the audience, etc. its my only telecaster so i can't easily compare its pros/cons to traditional tele bodies made of ash or alder.

I have one. It’s probably the guitar I play the least. Even with a full upgrade on electronics and hardware it doesn’t get the job done.

We've made some pine bodies at the shop recently. I like 'em. Nice and light, reasonably attractive grain, and no complaints about the tone. Yeah, the wood is a bit softer than most other woods and will get dinged up a bit, but how many Ibanez basswood guitars are out there that are still killing it with some battle wounds?

We've made some pine bodies at the shop recently. I like 'em. Nice and light, reasonably attractive grain, and no complaints about the tone. Yeah, the wood is a bit softer than most other woods and will get dinged up a bit, but how many Ibanez basswood guitars are out there that are still killing it with some battle wounds?

The battle wounds won't be an issue here. Considering the pickups going into it. I might as well upgrade the body wood.

Every pine Tele I've played has a sweetness in the midrange I definitely like. It's not as flat as alder, tonally. I'd rock a pine Tele if I had the money to get one.

I nicely made pine guitar might be really nice but this one is a $300 MIC Squier.

I do idly wonder sometimes what it is that makes the difference. By the time you've changed the hardware and the electronics, you're pretty much down to unsatisfactory tree-woods and/or the SUPER THICK layer of plasticising gloop they do on the Squiers.

(Other candidates -- trussrods of tonesuckium alloy, insolent fret-wire, deliberately broken CNC patterns, geopolitical anomalies -- don't really seem that tempting.)

go with a redwood body if you can find one .... they sing, they ring AND they ding

tele-relic.jpg

While not a trad Tele, a friend of mine picked up a roasted pine Serus T. He said it is easily one of the most resonant and lively guitars he's had....and he has had a slew of Teles.

Reactions: DFB
Back