Here's what I learned from my Muff adventure

Which heavy fuzz?

• The Ibanez 850

• The Behringer SF300

• Donate your bodies to science, you fools!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
I want a nasty fuzz that's not spitty, plays well with humbuckers, and can sound good through my Fender based amp. The Muff's low end had a resonance I couldn't dial out with my Allen. I'm sure it sounds fantastic through Marshalls.

So...the contenders:

The Ibanez 850 Overdrive is a Ram's Head Muff with a more focused tone stack.
The Behringer Super Fuzz is a BOSS FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz clone.

The price difference between them is substantial, but the Behringer is well regarded enough to consider. If I want something more gigworthy, I'm 100% certain TC will reissue it in a better housing very soon, and it can always be used as a backup. And since BOSS no longer makes the Hyper Fuzz, I'm ok with considering a clone, even if it's a Behringer.

Vote!

Not really into fuzz. Listened cuz you said the worked with humbuckers and that interested me. Thought maybe that would change my mind. Didn't. Only voted for the Behringer because you can use it as a boost.

Not really into fuzz. Listened cuz you said the worked with humbuckers and that interested me. Thought maybe that would change my mind. Didn't. Only voted for the Behringer because you can use it as a boost.

These are both particularly gnarly fuzzes, so they're not for everyone. And yeah, the clean boost setting on the Behringer makes it worth it. That's how I'm leaning, but I dunno yet.

Yeah, I did a lot more listening and I don't think I want a saggy fuzz. If I did, I would get the Carcosa though.
Describe saggy for me, please. Or point me in the direction of the discussion so I can catch up. I fell off the track of the conversation during and just after the holidays.

And also, I may just keep playing with stacking something (most likely my new Form. 55) with my Muff so that it has more mids to work with on the concert.

Describe saggy for me, please. Or point me in the direction of the discussion so I can catch up. I fell off the track of the conversation during and just after the holidays.

The Carcosa, like many fuzzes, has a bias knob. DOD calls it "after". Other common control names for the same thing are "sag" and "starve". It controls the amount of DC draw coming into the circuit and simulates a dying battery. So all those Fuzzrite tones you love can be dialed in very easily. And depending on the architecture of the pedal, you can dial in screechy feedback tones, velcro sounds, and other noisy things.

Back