Here's how I spent my day...Clutch Replacement

Prages

User Error
The slave cylinder went out in the Ranger. I worked on it today.

Removed the driveshafts.

FB_IMG_1450566773787.jpg

FB_IMG_1450566782228.jpg

Removed the gear shift.

FB_IMG_1450566790951.jpg

Here's the transfer case.

FB_IMG_1450566797584.jpg

Dropped the transmission.

The source of my misery...the offending slave cylinder.

FB_IMG_1450566805568.jpg

All the new parts beside the old ones.

FB_IMG_1450566813616.jpg

The new slave cylinder installed.

FB_IMG_1450566819884.jpg

My arms were so tired that I couldn't get the transmission back in today.

I'll go back tomorrow and hopefully get it all back together.

What a pain in the ass to replace a $40 part.

Note that I opted to replace the whole clutch while the transmission was out.

Still, the old clutch was fine, other than the leaking slave cylinder.

Last edited:
This deserves a new hole punched in your mancard.

This is the third time I've done this job, albeit on two different vehicles.

It's the first time I've had to do it without my dad, though. I could have really used an extra pair of hands trying not to drop the transmission on my head.

Good choice with the Luk clutch set...

The thing with these damned Ford clutches is that it's never the clutch plate or pressure plate that wears out.

It's always the slave cylinder that shits the bed. Everytime I've done a clutch job, it was because of a leaking slave cylinder, and the rest of the clutch probably still had 40k miles of life in it.

But if you're going to pull the tranny anyway, might as well replace it all.

It was cold today, and there was a light dusting of snow this morning, but I'm working in my dad's garage. I was actually sweating most of the day.

Just keep reminding yourself how much you saved over paying to have it done.

.....Sooner or later you'll convince yourself it was a good idea :wink:

I've got a little bit of body work to do on a couple patch panels I had a buddy weld into the cab of my truck but I'm going to wait for it to warm up next weekend. Otherwise, knock on wood, I've got nothing on the to do list.

Got her all back together and running like a champ! Thanks to my cousin, Andy, for the help with the heavy lifting and helping me bolt everything back together!

Just keep reminding yourself how much you saved over paying to have it done.

.....Sooner or later you'll convince yourself it was a good idea :wink:

I'd imagine that most shops would charge at least 6 hours of labor...probably more like 8-10 hours.

Yeah, it took me about 14 hours, and my cousin helped for probably 3 or 4 hours, but it was free labor other costing my entire weekend and the fact that my body is pretty sore.

Roughly $250 in parts vs. probably $1200 or more from a shop.

My time is valuable, but it isn't that valuable. :embarrassed:

And my upper body and hands are so sore this morning that I'm barely functional. :(

Damn, the clutch feels good though.

I don't remember what brand clutch I used the last time, but the Luk has a lot firmer pedal than I ever remember the old one having, even when it was new. It must have a stronger pressure plate or something.

Wow.....nice job.

I don't know jack shit about transmissions.

To replace the clutch, you don't have to know much about transmissions. Just how to remove and reinstall them.

The clutch itself bolts to the flywheel and the slave cylinder sits on the input shaft of the transmission.

You don't actually have to get inside the transmission, just the bell housing.

To replace the clutch, you don't have to know much about transmissions. Just how to remove and reinstall them.

The clutch itself bolts to the flywheel and the slave cylinder sits on the input shaft of the transmission.

You don't actually have to get inside the transmission, just the bell housing.

Shows you what I know.

Funny story about my dad.

When the clutch went out on my 1993 Explorer, he said "get it here and we'll replace it."

I got it there, and we replaced it. I also learned many new curse words (and I was 23 years old at the time).

When the clutch went out in the Ranger about 10 years ago, he said "I'll give you the money to have it towed to a garage and replaced there."

Of course, I still opted to do the work myself with his help.

It was very different working on it without him, in his garage, this time.

I'm sure he was there with me, though. I mean, bleeding the thing went so well...that was the part that always caused us the most trouble. This time, bleeding it took about 5 minutes and I went through less than a pint of brake fluid.

For that, Dad, I thank you.

Love you, Dad.

Last edited:
You da man. I can tear an engine apart and rebuild it, but have never messed with trannies. Just never had to. Now, I'm too old to try.

Reactions: Tig
I just replaced the rear leaf spring shackles and brackets on my Ranger. Remember how I said I was hearing some knocky noises? Funny how they both went out simultaneously. One about blew through the bed. What a shitshow. Totally corroded and mangled. Old brackets were held on with a combination of 3/8" rivets (grinder fireworks, yay!) and bolts. And of course, I have a Reese hitch in the way. Took about 16 hours. Guy at the parts store said: "Is there a problem with these? I seem to sell a lot of them". No, dude, we just like to keep 'em new and shiny. Check yours, G.
I'm glad you think of your old man when you work on the vehicles. I like to help my sons with their POS cars, as I didn't have that gift.

Last edited:
Back