Here is a strange one, Fender 9 string acoustic.

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
Looks like an 'aftermarket' mod to me, but I don't follow acoustics very closely. Looks like a 12 on top, and a 6 string on the bottom. Strange.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/msg/3807638193.html

3Id3M93J45N45K45Hcd5f1d12ae5474b818f6.jpg

Actually, back in the early 80s, the nine-string acoustic (and acoustic-electric) were a passing fad, and were also made by Ventura, Yamaha, Conklin, Emerald Guitars, Halo, Ibanez, Oni, Stambaugh Designs, Shamray, Sherman, Siggery, Strictly7, Etherial, and Alvarez/Alvarez-Yairi (most of the ones I've seen were by Alvarez/Alvarez-Yairi, so I'm guessing their offerings were the best liked of the lot.

Also, Taylor made a short run, to celebrate their 35th Anniversary.

Image.ashx

Last edited:
No thanks. I'll go 6 or 12, but that doesn't appeal to me.

My feelings, exactly.

Apparently, many folks felt the same way, as the only folks I've ever seen/heard of using a 9-string much was Michael Martin Murphey (who used one for a few songs per concert) and Big Joe Williams (who converted 6-stringed guitars and rarely played anything else).

Big_Joe_Williams.jpg
Big-Joes-Guitar-headstock.jpg

Mississippi blues singer and guitarist Big Joe Williams spent most of his career playing nine-string guitars he had adapted himself from six-string instruments, with the first and second strings doubled in unison and the fourth doubled in octaves] His grave marker reads "King of the Nine-String guitar"

All the commercially made 9-strings I've ever seen doubled the G, B and High E, with the G in octaves.

Last edited:
Found another:

ihxudclejpxilmrob5dy.jpg

An unusual 9-string guitar in which the G, D & E strings are in pairs (like the G, D & E strings on a 12-string guitar). The back and sides are not common wood or veneer, as can be seen from the pictures. Yamaha does not describe this as one of their guitars, suggesting it is very rare, or that the Internet lore indicating that Yung (or Young) Jin was a distributor who sold custom guitars from Yamaha in the 1970s is accurate. In any case, this guitar has been in a large guitar collection for several years, and it has been played very little; it is excellent/mint condition.

Found another:

ihxudclejpxilmrob5dy.jpg

An unusual 9-string guitar in which the G, D & E strings are in pairs (like the G, D & E strings on a 12-string guitar). The back and sides are not common wood or veneer, as can be seen from the pictures. Yamaha does not describe this as one of their guitars, suggesting it is very rare, or that the Internet lore indicating that Yung (or Young) Jin was a distributor who sold custom guitars from Yamaha in the 1970s is accurate. In any case, this guitar has been in a large guitar collection for several years, and it has been played very little; it is excellent/mint condition.
\\see, this... this I could totally get behind.
in fact, I'd go so far as to say I think it's a great idea.
the manin thing that drew me to 12s was the chime-like thing for the high strings.

Back