Henry J does teh HR.

Wow, the execs have to take a minimum of 5 days off, and have to know those vacation times at the start of the year?

I guess something like 'Led Zeppelin is getting back together, and I scored tickets' is out then. Sorry, you didn't plan on that a year ago :poke:

Yeah, they may have the titles, but if they're worth big bucks, then they'd also have no trouble finding jobs with better vacation time.

Last edited:
I have 20 vacation days per year. I have to take 5 consecutive days per year, and my boss wants at least 3/4 of our vacation planned by February 28.

I get two weeks vacation time; I can take it any time I want, but I have to use it consecutively. I normally save one week for the end of the year, as we're closed the week of Christmas, so I can have two weeks off at the end of the year. The other one I take when there's either something fun coming up or I'm so stressed out that I'm going to put knitting needles through my scrotum. :facepalm:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 4 weeks vacation per year. I'm not allowed to take more than a week at a time, and I can't take off the last week of the month (I'm a manufacturing engineer). My boss has no problem with me taking a day here and there, including around a long weekend. He sheepishly asked me at about 4:30 today if I could work tomorrow if the company would make up the time to me. I chose to work a 12-hour day today instead. It saved me 85 miles of driving.

I got the impression that the email was a response to a specific executive's request for a vacation day, and the CEO was aware that vacation days were being abused by this executive, as well as others. As was already noted, there are plenty of bosses that manage to coast while taking credit for the hard work of those under them. I read this as the CEO letting this employee know that he knows. I also get the impression that Henty J. is aware that it is not an isolated situation among his execs, so this email was circulated as a warning.

I wouldn't condone using what should be a private email as a warning to others through the CC route, though. I just think there should have been 2 emails - one to the specific employee, and one as a memo to all execs. Nobody says the execs have to work there, but if they choose to do so, then they have to abide by the rules of the company. If the rules of the company truly suck, then they will eventually run out of people willing to work there.

I got the impression that the email was a response to a specific executive's request for a vacation day, and the CEO was aware that vacation days were being abused by this executive, as well as others. As was already noted, there are plenty of bosses that manage to coast while taking credit for the hard work of those under them. I read this as the CEO letting this employee know that he knows. I also get the impression that Henty J. is aware that it is not an isolated situation among his execs, so this email was circulated as a warning.

I wouldn't condone using what should be a private email as a warning to others through the CC route, though. I just think there should have been 2 emails - one to the specific employee, and one as a memo to all execs. Nobody says the execs have to work there, but if they choose to do so, then they have to abide by the rules of the company. If the rules of the company truly suck, then they will eventually run out of people willing to work there.

Agreed.
But I think the CC was started by the exec in question.
So, doing a reply-all in this case makes sense, I think. He saw the attempt at fulfilling an agenda and shot it down. Decisively.

I see that but I think that this should have been a private email to the person and not sent to everyone. Or it should have been worded in general terms and sent to everyone but not to call out one particular employee (exec or not) in front of his peers.

It was the employee asking for time off who cc'ed in 20 people, Henry just replied all. Now that fact that this employee felt the need to cc 20 other people when asking for a day off tells you a lot about the culture, but he brought the public slapdown on himself.

Having said that, the whole attitude this represents is wrong. Companies exist because of the labour of their employees. Employment in a 21st Century Western democracy should not be a form of indentured servitude.

Man, you'd think the Chief Luthier would be a little more mellow than that. Reading that made me feel better about never having owned a Gib.

I consider my lack of any official vacation time as my greatest job perk. I decide and approve when I take vacation and how much I take. It really is heaven, even if I don't take as much vacation as I should.

I consider my lack of any official vacation time as my greatest job perk. I decide and approve when I take vacation and how much I take. It really is heaven, even if I don't take as much vacation as I should.

I do, but it isn't representative of my time off.

I've had to talk to a few employees about abusing the long weekend/holiday vacation days. It leaves us in pinch and it's not fair to the other employees that also would like to take off. I can't allow too many off because we have to maintain coverage. So I can see his point but his communication style is shit. I would never handle this via email but would discuss this with the employee in person privately. Then I would send a separate email detailing the discussion. This is just failure all around....sounds like a terrible culture there.

Remember though that he is talking to the leaders of the company.
People that should be leading by example.

This. I am a "leader" of sorts at work. And, while I know they make fun of me behind my back a lot, they also know that every day I am the first one there, the last one to leave, and in the past 3 years have only called in sick once. And that day I still came in and fired up the compressor and stuff, then went back to bed.

After 29 years at UPS I can say I don't know what all the uproar is about. At UPS instead of an Email the management person would have been berated and humiliated on the morning conference call

I'll stick with my Heritages. I know the owners of that company. All of them are really nice people that love what they do.

That is just weird(Sorry),and reminds me of a dude that I can't stand
I get almost 6 weeks vacation per year..120 hours of sick leave...40 hours of 'family related sick leave',that I lose if I don't use...Believe me,I use it....A personal day and a volunteer day..

I took this afternoon off and had a great time........

And stat holidays are a given....I forget how many....

He sounds like a joy to work for. Makes me glad to work for a company where I can ask to take a vacation day three or four days in advance.

Back