Henry J does teh HR.

He is right about one thing:

"It is not alright to leave early Friday afternoon or arrive late on Monday morning. It is not alright to take extended lunches. The list of unprofessional behavior goes on."

Other than that, is this really the company you want your hard earned dollars going to? Really?

That email looks like it was actually directed at an executive leader, not a regular employee. Substituting [employee name] throughout makes it look like Henry was directly telling Joe Neck-Gluer he can't take Wednesday off.

I am not a fan of Gibson as a company because I think I can get more value from other makers.

I don't agree with the policies Henry is outlining. I also think an angrily-worded email is about the worst possible way to communicate. On the other hand, if the audience consisted of mostly executive leadership, that wouldn't surprise me.

However, I can't assume that Gawker is purely factual and even-handed in its coverage. The political shot they take at the beginning was enough to suggest they have something of an agenda.

As a former Nashville resident I can tell you the horror stories about Henry J are legion. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of that article, the email, or the anecdotes contained in it.

I've actually never worked for a company with an HR department (or a CEO for that matter) but I can't imagine someone sending a widely circulated email like that.

I can't see the email from my work computer, but as someone who has worked for a huge corporation for 15+ years, I have seen some pretty crazy emails from our CEO. Maybe nothing terribly blunt, but I'm sure he has at least 3 teams of people editing his thoughts before they are distributed throughout the footprint.

Reading that letter actually changes things in my mind about Gibson.

I mean there are always sour grapes in a company, but if that letter is real, that is fucking POOR.

While I'll agree there is no good reason to leave early on Friday and late on Monday just because, this is pretty petty from a CEO to keep naming an employee to make an example out of for the masses. That's some "Great Leader" attitude there.

Must.Be.Posted.Again.

I'm guessing his tone comes from this:

Smokey-Amp-600x433.jpg

Did you guys miss the part where this email was sent to the other executives and is in regard to the leadership of the company? He’s telling the people getting six-figure salaries that they need to do a better job planning vacations because the employees on the factory floor can’t take long weekends or announce vacations on short notice. That doesn’t make him an ogre, it just makes him a CEO enforcing a pretty typical policy.

Taking time off when other people cannot do so or causing insufficient staff during working periods shows a lack of responsibility and consideration for all that depend on our business to be there for them.

I don't care much for Henry J., but I kind of agree with this. I've seen plenty of situations over the years where senior management bails out at the busiest time at the last minute and leaves it to the rank-and-file employees to muddle through.

Did you guys miss the part where this email was sent to the other executives and is in regard to the leadership of the company? He’s telling the people getting six-figure salaries that they need to do a better job planning vacations because the employees on the factory floor can’t take long weekends or announce vacations on short notice. That doesn’t make him an ogre, it just makes him a CEO enforcing a pretty typical policy.
I see that but I think that this should have been a private email to the person and not sent to everyone. Or it should have been worded in general terms and sent to everyone but not to call out one particular employee (exec or not) in front of his peers.

Back