Help me pick a new project

image.jpg

Back to sample 1. Although it's caliche clay and difficult to break down, once it is, the dust is finer than talc. My first "harvest."

thats looks like shit

the only brown guitar I know is pages botswana brown bomber and that looks black under lights

thats looks like shit

the only brown guitar I know is pages botswana brown bomber and that looks black under lights

Of course it looks like shit. It's little more than a chemistry experiment at this point. Looking good isn't the goal at this step. Checking a tone and viability of local sources is all that's happening now. It has a long way to go before it's paint.

On the workbench tonight is the White Guitar. I had an odd ringing on the B string that I finally traced to the bridge saddle. It seems my wider, round-over bridge isn't such a great idea.
So, I did some shaping, reducing the width of the saddles and creating a sharper fall-off.
I also adjusted the radius a bit. The outside strings were sitting a bit high. Just a couple of thousandths but enough that you notice after a while. It feels better.
I still need to adjust the height down just a wee bit and fine tune the nut slots a little. Again, the outside strings are sitting a little high.
I don't know if it shows up in the pics, but the top is definitely yellowing. I figured the cheap Ace clear coat had no UV block or plasticizers and it looks to be so.

image.jpg

You can see the arc of the bridge in this one. The bass side rises up just a little.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Then I need to re-finish the bridge where I've been sanding it with some Danish oil finish.

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion on this body shape?
Forget the goofy hole in the middle and just focus on the silhouette. Then add a cutaway.

image.jpg

Lol. But, you have a good point. I'm always in favor of taking as little as we need from the earth. Those following is might want some stuff, too. Like air and water and pesky shit like that.

-------------

Everything is done. The one thing I was really curious about was how much effect this neck shaving would impact the sound of the guitar.
The answer is: It did no change the sound of the guitar. I trimmed the neck from 1.125" down to .90". No difference.
I can, however, flex the neck more. It's definitely no spaghetti neck but I can bend more down now than I could before.

image.jpg

Back