Help me pick a new project

If you are going to do 3 pickups, I say a regular 3 way switch, neck, neck+bridge, bridge. Then add an on off switch for the middle, like a little push button.

If you are going to do 3 pickups, I say a regular 3 way switch, neck, neck+bridge, bridge. Then add an on off switch for the middle, like a little push button.
Or Gilmour Black Strat wiring, with a 5-way and a switch to add the neck pickup to any combo.

Or Gilmour Black Strat wiring, with a 5-way and a switch to add the neck pickup to any combo.

I was thinking along those lines but with an individual control for the middle pickup.

And I'm still not 100% sold on 3 pickups. I gotta convince myself it adds enough to be worth the hassle.

I may be better off adding an acoustic pickup of some sort.

Boom!!! sans birds of course

That looks really familiar...

LPSbody1.jpg

I thought the idea was to make something different or unavailable ?

It is. I'm refining my goals. Here's what my train of thought is...

Stage/road worthy guitars that don't break the bank. This includes such things as easy/infrequent maintenance, low noise, reliability and the Timex factor. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Versatility in tone with minimal fuss.
The vibe and (at least partly) the sound of a hollow body without the cumbersome size and fragility.
Targeted at a specific type of player...the red dirt artist. While I hope it can have broader appeal than that, I want to cater to their needs and style. This is the most common live music in my area and it's where the majority of guitar players are. Further, they don't really have a guitar (yet) that symbolizes their style.
Country has the tele, rock has the strat and Les Paul, jazz has the jazz box, etc. Red dirt is a new(er) genre and is still developing. I hope to make the RED Ranger an emblematic guitar for the style.

Sounds a lot like a Tele deluxe thinline by the description:tongue:

In many ways, yes. It will share some DNA with a thinline deluxe telecaster. In fact, if the Ranger takes off, I'd like to offer the Rambler, which would be the same body but equipped with an ashtray tele bridge and Broadcaster pickups.

Then maybe the Racer with a single P90 at the bridge. :grin:

Soil sample two. Taken from a gopher mound in a yard near Norman, OK.
This is a much lighter, fluffier soil than the other. That first bunch isn't really desolving in the water. Still a pile of rocks.

image.jpg

Back