Help me figure out how to jam with my friend via Skype

BrammyH

Grandpa Whine
So, I've got a regular jam partner and Winter is here. Usually when we jam, we have a backing track (the song we are working on) playing.

We both have very good internet (FIOS).

We both have Amplitube and USB inputs.

What I'd like to do is have iTunes play the song we are working on so both of us can hear it, and use Amplitube as the amps so it's nice and clean.

How do I get all this hooked into Skype and is it even possible?

The time lag inherent in using an application like Skype will keep you from being able to play in time with each other. I teach lessons via Skype several times a week and if I want to hear the student playing with some music I have to send an mp3 for them to play on their end and I can't play along with them. The technology just isn't there yet for real time jamming.

Thanks I was afraid of that. That's too bad.

I was wondering how Skype lessons worked. Does the student usually just play with his or her amp on it the background?

Thanks I was afraid of that. That's too bad.

I was wondering how Skype lessons worked. Does the student usually just play with his or her amp on it the background?
Yeah. I've had students use all kinds of setups but as long as I can hear your voice in a regular skype call I can hear your instrument too.

Back