HELP! iPad recording interface for newbie

bsman

b00b
Well, now that I finally have a place with a little space I can play in, I’m looking for that elegant recording solution to allow me to start putting together songs using something other than the built-in video capabilities in my iPad. I DO have an iRig HD, but that only has one input for guitar, and I’d like to find something I can use to record vocals and instruments - either at the same time or as different tracks. I’ve looked at a variety of Focusrite, PreSonus, iRig, etc. devices until my eyes are crossed, and would be interested in finding out what folks here recommend. I know Mark will recommend the Apogee Duet, but I’m not really ready to spend $600 on something that is still a hobby for me at this point...

I'm not sure about the "at the same time" part but there are a number of ios compatible microphones. iRig makes a couple of options. I'm not sure if one plugs into your existing HD but it seems I remember seeing that it could be used for a mic.

You can search iPhone/iPad microphones on sweetwater and a bunch come up.

Hi -

Been there, and it was alternatingly great and infuriating. Very long story short: IK makes products that seem to be completely plug n' play with IOS. Focusrite? Not so much. Not playing faves - I love my Focusrite for my 'fancier' rig.

The iRig Pro Duo is a great option for what you seek: 2 inputs, carries audio signals as well as MIDI, has a monitor-out, and if you really convince yourself that you are Alan Lomax and don't mind purchasing 6,000 batteries, is theoretically portable. I like it because it's very quiet*, small and lightweight.

* - so, it really is pretty quiet, but consequently there's very little warmth or color -- you'll be on your own with the plugins for that. FWIW, I also heartily endorse Auria as the DAW of choice.

Bumping this for moar input. FYI, one of the irritating things about my iRig HD is that it will not allow me to monitor via bluetooth while I'm recording - don't know if this is the case with the Pro Duo as well. Still seeking!

Is this a funds issue?

I know some can get by with recording on an iPad, but myself I wouldn't go that route.

A laptop and one of the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces would be a much easier and convenient option imo. I do that myself and it works great.
You can always use plugins later for colour/warmth/insert audio buzzword here. The Slate everything bundle is a no-brainer btw.

Dexter, I couldn't agree more. Quick question about the Slate bundle - is it on auto-repeat for billing, or can I do "next 12 months" like Amazon Prime?

Dexter, I couldn't agree more. Quick question about the Slate bundle - is it on auto-repeat for billing, or can I do "next 12 months" like Amazon Prime?

I pay each month, but I do think there's a yearly option as well.

It's worth it just for the Distressor emulation, which is just ridiculous.

Just realized - I didn't do it because of the need for iLok. I have to buy something for $40, register with another company, and .... (you already lost me there, Steven Slate).

Way too medieval. Sorry.

Is this a funds issue?

I know some can get by with recording on an iPad, but myself I wouldn't go that route.

Not really, but our computer is an all-in-one type with a huge monitor my wife uses for her photography, and it’s not in my music room. I also have an older Chromebook, but with no hard drive, I figured that’s not optimal. I have a laptop, but it’s from work and I don’t do non-work stuff on it. I really don’t feel like buying a laptop JUST for music, if I can avoid that.

Back