Help! Drummer's toms sound like empty cardboard boxes...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
OK, so the drummer in my band is a bit green, playing a few years but needs help.

His toms sound like he's hitting cardboard boxes... could it be that they're not tuned properly? I'm not sure what brand of kit he has, I think he put some pretty good money into it though.

Help me drummers, you're my only hope!

I'm no drummer but a new set of heads would be the first step. Make sure there are bottom heads as well. I think that will help tighten up the overall sound.
From what I've noticed making sure the drums are tuned properly may be a big help as well.

If he's not getting any rebound off the toms he needs to tune them better...probably doesn't have enough tension in the heads...

My guess is worn heads tuned too low from the way you describe it.

Either way...
Have him watch this vid - it's a great starting point for getting better at tuning them.
And toms are the most difficult things to get right on a drum kit. By far.

If there are dents in the heads, replace them - they'll never sound anywhere near decent. At that point the tone is gone.

And lose the dampening shit that many "new" drummers rely on (I suspect he may be guilty of this, too many drummers are).
Tune first, then a tiny bit of dampening where needed to control the ring.
No folded up tissue/paper/gaffa tape or any of that crap. That will definitely make them sound like cardboard boxes.
Some ring is crucial to making them cut through the mix - this also applies to the snare.
If necessary, about half a piece of moongel should be more than enough.

Back