Help...blackened fish

telecaster911

Kick Henry Jackassowski
What Cajun seasoning do you guys use when you make blackened fish?

Also, are you cooking the fish before the blackening process? Or just blacken both sides and call it done?

How about just grilling fish on a plank? What seasonings/prep?

I love fish, but can't get it to taste as good as it should.

I don't do any blackened fish but I love to grill salmon on cedar planks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only eat blackened fish but never cook it. I do know the key is the preparation.
I'd use a blackened fish seasoning like...
shopping

And look up some recipes but use the pre-mixed seasoning.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-fish/
http://www.food.com/recipe/blackened-fish-268418

Yeah, you can make your own seasoning, but that would involve you buying 6-8 different ingredients if you don't already have them. The premade seasonings are usually a bit on the salty side, but it is what it is.

As for the actual preparation, you'll need this-Cast iron, medium high heat and butter. Not oil, not margarine, butter. It's the combination of seasoning, high heat and butter that does it. Most flat-top grills in kitchens have a hot spot used for blackening, you'll make due with cast iron, which is actually better.

If you wanna do a fish fry, get yourself some wondraflour, great stuff.

As for other types of fish...simplicity is the key. Don't over complicate things, do things simple and right using the right flavor profiles and remember, when you are not blackening/frying, hot fish is overcooked fish. The other day at work I had free range to cook a so so fish, tilapia, my way, so I laid them out on sheet pans, seasoned with salt, pepper and dill, then added white wine and lemon juice to the pan, about a quarter inch worth, and topped them with a little melted butter, more or less poaching them in wine. This went into a 250 degree over for about 10 minutes, until they became opaque. Came out great.

Last edited:
I don't do any blackened fish but I love to grill salmon on cedar planks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said. Cod on a plank is superb.
I tried making blackened fish for a while but it ended up being too spicy and charred for the GFs taste. And the cats wouldn't eat it.

Due to allergies I don't eat blackened, but I *love* fish, especially salmon. I do a lot of baked salmon, but one of my favourite recipes is a crispy salmon with dill.

First, get some nice salmon filets WITH skin. With the filet horizontal, take your knife and cut some half-inch deep vertical slits in the skin side, but not edge to edge. I generally space them about three-quarters of an inch apart, depending on the side of the filet, so if you're using smaller ones you'll need to keep them a bit closer. Start heating up your cast and get a bit of olive oil in there. While it's heating up, sprinkle some salt and pepper on your filet. You can then "stuff" the slits with herbs, lemon, or garlic, followed by a drizzle of olive oil... I generally stick to dill and maybe a bit of lemon juice. When your cast and oil are good and hot, put your salmon in, skin side down. Give it four or five minutes on the that side, or just eye the colour change and flip when you think it's time. To keep the skin crispy and intact, don't try to flip it early or move it around the pan, cause it'll stick. Once you flip your filet, give it another four or five minutes, depending on how done you like it. Flip it one more time, back to the skin side, and remove from heat, letting it rest and crisp a bit more while you plate up the rest of the meal. I normally plate it crispy side up, but that's all personal taste.

My grandfather used to make something similar to this with trout or pike and he'd always fry it up with onions and potatoes. I really like to serve it with Chinese longbeans, some cherry tomatoes, and a bit of red potato.

We like to bake fish in the oven on a a drip pan with foil over the top. A bit of fresh lemon juice and a can or two of Rotel spread across the fillets and you have a moist, delicious fish entree.

512-ccBBSuL._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
Back