Help a newb with running a pedal in the efx loop...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
so every few months I try a new distortion pedal and within a day after I get the pedal, I end on either selling it or returning it. I've always been an amp distortion guy.

But a pedal caught my eye a few months ago and I ordered one today. The tech 21 rk5(richie kotzen). It is pretty much a sans amp with overdrive(and boost) with a built in delay.

I read recently that I can bypass the preamp of my amp by sending the out from the pedal to the effects loop return. Is that true?

Does it bypass the preamp of the amp?

If you bypass the preamp, that means you can't boost the amps distortion with the pedal. So you have to ask yourself, "Self, what do I really want from this pedal?"

IMO, the only portion of that pedal that could benefit from being in an effects loop is the delay. And since it doesn't have individual ins and outs for each effect, just use it before the input. You probably won't like the distortion/boost sections on their own, straight into the power amp.

If you do that, the pedal is the preamp and only the power tubes are used from the return on.... Not sure how that would sound with the RK5. I've always used mine out front of the amp's clean channel.

Yes, you're by-passing the preamp that way. I used to do it regularly back in the "80's rack" days. I'd plug my ADA MP-1 (and other rack pre's occasionally) into the fx return of a good tube amp, sounded incredible (for the time). What you're doing is really no different from that.

That's how I run my Boss GT-8, and it sounds fantastic that way. But I'm using amp models, not just OD/dist.

For maximum tonal success, your shoes must match your guitar.
9a2c6d2d98d893775ec6ca507bac322c_medium.jpg

:grin:

I’m surprised this doesn’t work well in the loop. Amp sim pedals usually do. Sometimes I run my Matamp emulator in the loop of my amp and it’s fine. But it’s more fun to slam the preamp so I’m getting more gain stages on top of the Matamp emulator and the two or three fuzzes I’m using with it.

I have a Fly Rig. Not the RK version. These are made to run directly into a mixer or PA. The SansAmp section has speaker emulation built in. If you keep this on so the distortion runs through it it should sound pretty good. Also the SansAmp has to be on for the reverb to work. The distortion/plexi probably wouldn't sound as good by itself with out running through a preamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back