Hello again, a question, and a ngd

Alex W

Pork and Beans connoisseur
Hey again everyone. Haven't been here in quite some time, I haven't picked up an instrument since Jeremy passed.

Being guitarless, my wife convinced me to get back into playing and i bought a FSR blacktop Jazzmaster off of eBay last night.

So that leads to my question. Will aftermarket mustang saddles fit in a stock jazzmaster bridge? I absolutely hate the buzzing and string slippage on the stock jaguar/jazzmaster bridge, I'm too cheap to buy a 200 dollar mastery bridge, and the mustang bridge sits too sloppily in the jazzmaster posts. I bought some tusq saddles that were marked mustang/jazzmaster from the eBay seller but comparing pics of the jazzmaster and mustang bridges I'm having my doubts (saddles haven't shipped yet).

Dunno about the saddle question, but HNGD.

And good to see you again.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Here is a pic of the beast. I'm gonna pull the humbuckers out and drop in a set of the ghs goldfoil pickups. I know the guitar and pickups aren't probably many people's cup o' tea.
$_3.jpeg

Cool guit! Love the competition stripe. I'm interested to hear how it turns out with the gold foils. My only real experience is with older MIJ JM's and Jags. In the Jazzy, I put in Tusq saddles, and they fit just fine. In the Jag, I put in a standard Mustang bridge. It was a little loose, but with string tension, it held just fine without any movement.

Right on. You may want to wait until it arrives. Most newer Jags/JMs have Mustang saddles already on them. I think only Vintage reissues have the old shitty saddles.

No advice, but I am happy to see you again and wish you a HNGD. Let's all sing:
We wish you a new guitar day, we wish you a new guitar day.
We wish you a new guitar day, at least three a year.

I heard what Chad basically posted. The blacktop series have a bridge design similar to the old mustang and not the same as the original vintage jazz master, so you might not need to do the swap at all. I also heard the new bridge has deeper grooves that prevent strings from jumping out of the saddles. I've never played one of these, but that is what I have read.

Good to see you back around these parts, and HNGD!

put some heavy strings on it. thats all those jazz/jag bridges need to work perfectly.
anything under 12s can be problematic.

put some heavy strings on it. thats all those jazz/jag bridges need to work perfectly.

I have 10s on mine and I have no issues at all. I do have a Mastery bridge and vibrato and it is a McFeely.

Yeah but my problem is that I like 9's (and 10's at the absolute thickest) on Fender scale stuff.

Yeah but my problem is that I like 9's (and 10's at the absolute thickest) on Fender scale stuff.

Mine is short scale with 10s and it is fine. I'm not sure where the heavy string thing came from, maybe the old bridges.

yeah the bridge leo designed found today on the Avris and PVs . those are perfectly fine if you use heavy strings.
no string jumping or noise.
that is my second favorite vibrato system next to mosrites.

Back