Headlight question...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
Camry hybrid got crunched a few weeks ago, left front end smashed up. Got the headlight replaced (as well as the front bumper etc...) and now the low beams are way too low it seems. The beam pattern is very sharp at the top of it so there's a very stark edge of bright light to darkness at night in front of the car.

But it's too close to the car, it's scary to drive since if I'm going at a good speed there's no way I could avoid something in the road, I'd see it too late.

I took it back to the body shop once and they said the headlights were as high as they could go.

Brought it back in today (after my mechanic said that they're aimed improperly) and the body shop said they adjusted them but they were almost as high as they can go.

Does this sound like there's front end damage and they're not telling me about it? Don't know why, they'd make more money if they had to fix more damage (insurance would pay for it since it wasn't my fault) but maybe if there was too much then it would be considered totaled and they wouldn't get more...

So to make a long story short (I know, "Too late!") whatchya think?

I'd think there is more damage or they didn't install the headlight module properly in the first place.
Yup.

Likely a poor installation. In fact, I'd almost guarantee it. Any hidden damage that would create such a condition would be visible in other manifestations like noticeable panel gaps, drooping panels etc.

Also make sure they actually put the correct lamp assembly in there. You mentioned it's a hybrid, most cars these days have more than one headlight option (standard halogen vs zenon vs LED etc). The Camry hybrid may take a specific lamp that's unique to it over the gas powered car, but would be interchangeable physically.

Did you do anything else to alter the car's stance, like raise the rear, or lower the front? A change in tire sizes maybe?

Back