Have you guys noticed these fully functioning model engines?

In 98 there was this old machinist who made a 1/8th scale, IIRC, working replica of a Rolls Royce Merlin 12 cylinder engine - actually it was the Packard built version made under license in the US for the P-51 Mustang. They differed primarily in the direction of rotation. (The British used propellers that turned the wrong way :grin: .) It was supposedly 100% representative of the full size version he copied it from. I was heavily into the 1/4 scale radio control airplane hobby at the time and was keeping an eyeball peeled for such an engine. But, he made it because it was on his bucket list and not because he intended to market it. Had he made it 1/4 scale he'd have had a gold mine.

In 98 there was this old machinist who made a 1/8th scale, IIRC, working replica of a Rolls Royce Merlin 12 cylinder engine - actually it was the Packard built version made under license in the US for the P-51 Mustang. They differed primarily in the direction of rotation. (The British used propellers that turned the wrong way :grin: .) It was supposedly 100% representative of the full size version he copied it from. I was heavily into the 1/4 scale radio control airplane hobby at the time and was keeping an eyeball peeled for such an engine. But, he made it because it was on his bucket list and not because he intended to market it. Had he made it 1/4 scale he'd have had a gold mine.

had he made in 1/4 scale.....he could have put it in a car :thu:

Let's see, the original full size engine (V-1650 CID) had about 1500 HP so straight up division puts the little guy at 415 CID, 375 ponies. Yea, that would be doable. Talking 130 octane, though, so the pisswater available at the typical filling stations these days would substantially derate it.

Let's see, the original full size engine (V-1650 CID) had about 1500 HP so straight up division puts the little guy at 415 CID, 375 ponies. Yea, that would be doable. Talking 130 octane, though, so the pisswater available at the typical filling stations these days would substantially derate it.

but the 130 octane would be divided by 4 also.....so 32.5 octance....oh......wait.....that's just a little more than water.:grin:

Back