Have you guys been talking to my kid?

o3xG7gm.jpg

Impressive "dunlop" gut on the guy in the photo. I'm sure that pizza box of gustatory assault weapons will fix that right up...

I tell you what you have there, an amp tech, then a EE and who knows what later on. People at an early age who know what they want to do tend to do great things in life.

Learning vacuum tube technology inherently leads to solid state and beyond. Understanding the very basics gives you the power for innovation and the ability to create new technologies. Anybody can swap boards. Awesome.

I tell you what you have there, an amp tech, then a EE and who knows what later on. People at an early age who know what they want to do tend to do great things in life.

Learning vacuum tube technology inherently leads to solid state and beyond. Understanding the very basics gives you the power for innovation and the ability to create new technologies. Anybody can swap boards. Awesome.

or maybe the next Howard Dumble/Cesar Diaz??

I believe the one Mark posted is a stereo amp and not a guitar amp.

Amp Kit - Stereo Integrated Tube Amplifier
  • SKU: K-502
  • Tube designs rival the sound of high end audio amplifiers that cost 10 times as much! This kit was designed by George Fathauer
  • Enjoy the thrill of high end audio without going broke and enjoy the satisfaction in building it yourself
  • Kit comes complete will all parts and easy to follow instructions
  • Easily built in one evening
  • Uses 11BM8 tubes included in the kit

I haven't been in one in a while. I'll have to check out ours, I'm always looking for newer music on vinyl. Urban Outfitters has a ton of vinyl also. We still have 2 record stores in Pasadena, they existing before the big chains stores like Tower Records and survived until now.
is poobah still a thing? I loved that place, but then I think it moved or something and I stopped going

is poobah still a thing? I loved that place, but then I think it moved or something and I stopped going

Yes still there. They were on Colorado Blvd when you left, but if you were here back in the day you might remember the original location on Walnut in the little bungalow house.

Yes still there. They were on Colorado Blvd when you left, but if you were here back in the day you might remember the original location on Walnut in the little bungalow house.
Yep, that sounds like the spot. I think it turned into a knitting shop after poobah

Yep, that sounds like the spot. I think it turned into a knitting shop after poobah

Yeah, what happened there? Rent raised too high for a record shop, but the knitting shop could afford it?

Actually I think the owner of Poobah's owned that house and sold it.

Yeah, what happened there? Rent raised too high for a record shop, but the knitting shop could afford it?

Actually I think the owner of Poobah's owned that house and sold it.
I remember liking the bungalow.. I'm not sure I ever went to the Colorado Blvd location; was it down by the Colorado (the bar)?

Wow, that brings back memories. My neighbor/friend built a pretty nice stereo receiver from Heathkit back in the 70s. His dad was a big ham radio guy and had built several of those too.
i had a room mate in the USAF that built the crap out of heathkit stuff. he was an avionics guy, so he knew the shit out of electronics. he took a Teac 3340S and modified it to be able to turn on and off each channel, with micro switches. we used to do a LOT of jamming, he was a bass player. wish i had copies of those tapes today.

edit: i should note that this was all going on in 1977.

i had a room mate in the USAF that built the crap out of heathkit stuff. he was an avionics guy, so he knew the shit out of electronics. he took a Teac 3340S and modified it to be able to turn on and off each channel, with micro switches. we used to do a LOT of jamming, he was a bass player. wish i had copies of those tapes today.

I always dreamed of owning a Teac 3340. Until Cubase came out. But tape is awesome. I had a 2 track reel to reel when I was a kid as I always inherited my dad's equipment when he upgraded. There's something magic about analog electronics.

I always dreamed of owning a Teac 3340. Until Cubase came out. But tape is awesome. I had a 2 track reel to reel when I was a kid as I always inherited my dad's equipment when he upgraded. There's something magic about analog electronics.
believe it or not.....tape is coming back in the recording industry. direct to digital looses a whole bunch of stuff. and the natural compression of magnetic tape just can't be synthisized.

edit: also, i would love to own a few 80-8's and at least one 32-2.

Teac 80-8
teac-80-8-57498.jpg

Teac 32-2
teac32.preview.jpg

Last edited:
believe it or not.....tape is coming back in the recording industry. direct to digital looses a whole bunch of stuff. and the natural compression of magnetic tape just can't be synthisized.

edit: also, i would love to own a few 80-8's and at least one 32-2.

Teac 80-8
teac-80-8-57498.jpg

Teac 32-2
teac32.preview.jpg

1st studio I recorded in had a Studer 16 track. I've alway wanted one since. That equipment was going down in price for a while, but as you stated it's coming back and the prices are going back up.

Last edited:
Back