Haunting Mids

Many years ago, there was an effects forum on Harmony Central. One of the forumites was a builder named Geoffrey Teese. Mr. Teese was one of the first builders of boutique wah pedals, and is really responsible for true bypass and other improvements in both Vox and Dunlop wahs. (All of which are built by Dunlop, BTW. In fact, if you have a wah in a standard case, you can only buy the cases from Dunlop. So my HBE wah that you worked on, the enclosure was still built by Dunlop.) Anyway, Mr. Teese put out a new wah called the Wizard Wah, with a variable input gain and other tweaks so it could better handle humbucker guitars. And the ad copy referred to the "haunting mids" you would get with the pedal.

Well, the jokes started. And then when HC started having issues, an entire forum called "Haunting Mids" appeared for people to post in. And the joke lived on with everyone who had moved out to different places, including TGP. Then HM guys started building their own pedals.

Regardless, nobody built a single band parametric EQ and called it "Haunting Mids" because that would be the dumbest version of the joke ever. Leave that to JHS, 10 years later, for something he had nothing to do with.

Now I have no dog in this race. I never bought a Teese wah. I joined the other post-HCFX forum. I post somewhat regularly on TGP. And though I'm not a JHS fan, I think he's come a long way this year in his effort to do right. But this is just dumb.

Many years ago, there was an effects forum on Harmony Central. One of the forumites was a builder named Geoffrey Teese. Mr. Teese was one of the first builders of boutique wah pedals, and is really responsible for true bypass and other improvements in both Vox and Dunlop wahs. (All of which are built by Dunlop, BTW. In fact, if you have a wah in a standard case, you can only buy the cases from Dunlop. So my HBE wah that you worked on, the enclosure was still built by Dunlop.) Anyway, Mr. Teese put out a new wah called the Wizard Wah, with a variable input gain and other tweaks so it could better handle humbucker guitars. And the ad copy referred to the "haunting mids" you would get with the pedal.

Well, the jokes started. And then when HC started having issues, an entire forum called "Haunting Mids" appeared for people to post in. And the joke lived on with everyone who had moved out to different places, including TGP. Then HM guys started building their own pedals.

Regardless, nobody built a single band parametric EQ and called it "Haunting Mids" because that would be the dumbest version of the joke ever. Leave that to JHS, 10 years later, for something he had nothing to do with.

Now I have no dog in this race. I never bought a Teese wah. I joined the other post-HCFX forum. I post somewhat regularly on TGP. And though I'm not a JHS fan, I think he's come a long way this year in his effort to do right. But this is just dumb.
Good times...

At one point I had started to write that case study, in real time, only to have Those Who Were In Charge start to delete my (relevant, and at first extremely polite) posts and ban me. It wound up with a terrible set of paradoxes: it was funny/sad how a bunch of people who simply could not take feedback, killed their own golden goose by ignoring good feedback.

And the moral of the story was: sometimes, it's the personalities involved, not the business model.

Now, just another tremendous addition to the Gibson family.

Back