Has ANYONE tried out the Martin Jeff Tweedy sig model?

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one, but the closest shop to me that actually has it in stock is Chicago. I'm a little concerned about the "modified V neck", even though the pics don't look too severe. I'll order from somewhere that will let me return it if I don't like the profile, but dropping that much coin on an unplayed acoustic is always a concern.

In other news, several acoustics will soon go up for sale. :embarrassed:

Sent from my iPhone at a Tijuana Donkey show. Wearing a kilt.

Yes. But only briefly. A friend of mine won one in the Wilco photo contest, and i got to play it for a couple minutes when he was at an open mic. It played very, very nicely, felt solid and looked great. The modified V neck did not bother me at all, and I could see getting used to it and loving it really quickly. I was impressed with it's deeper tone as the body is deeper than most of the guitars in that size range, to re-claim some of the oomph lost by making the body smaller. It was quite comfortable to hold too. I would totally pull the trigger if I had the opportunity. But that is just me. I am also always one to want to try an acoustic before buying too.

I've played a couple Martins with the modified V neck. They take some getting used to. I would play one first. It is not bad at all, just different.

I've played a couple Martins with the modified V neck. They take some getting used to. I would play one first. It is not bad at all, just different.

That's the problem... unless I'm driving to Chicago to try one, it's not going to happen. I'm also not normally much of a Martin fan, but I'm a huge Tweedy fan and like smaller bodied guitars and think the deeper back has a lot of potential.

Yes. But only briefly. A friend of mine won one in the Wilco photo contest, and i got to play it for a couple minutes when he was at an open mic. It played very, very nicely, felt solid and looked great. The modified V neck did not bother me at all, and I could see getting used to it and loving it really quickly. I was impressed with it's deeper tone as the body is deeper than most of the guitars in that size range, to re-claim some of the oomph lost by making the body smaller. It was quite comfortable to hold too. I would totally pull the trigger if I had the opportunity. But that is just me. I am also always one to want to try an acoustic before buying too.

Awesome, thanks! Tell your friend a random dude on the internet with a beard says that he's a bastard. :embarrassed:

Awesome, thanks! Tell your friend a random dude on the internet with a beard says that he's a bastard. :embarrassed:

He says he doesn't care. :grin: Just kidding, I have not talked to him lately. He is a kid I coached skiing a long time. He is up in BC now going to school. But here he is with his winning photo and his publicity shot in the shop at Chicago Music Exchange with his new guitar. It really is nice. I am not you but I would be surprised if you didn't like it. What is it you don't typically like about Martins? Maybe that would help me know what else to say about this guitar.
399516_4291296603092_1099938499_n.jpg

426143_10200629779689385_683918920_n.jpg

What is it you don't typically like about Martins?

I admit that I've been spoiled to play some pretty incredible acoustics, especially as at one time my step-father owned (simultaneously) a Santa Cruz dread, Collings OM, Martin OM's and D-28, Larrivee L-03M, and a couple of Taylors. I've found that in the price range where you start to get the really great sounding Martins, you're in the territory of used Collings or Santa Cruz models and usually new Larrivees. The Tweedy is a kinda unique piece that no one else is building, so I'm slightly more inclined to give it a shot than I would most Martins. Then there's the Tweedy association...

Hmm. I looked at Larrivees when I bought, and I liked them a lot. But as a substitute for a rosewood/spruce Martin. I love the rosewood/spruce Martin dread sound. I know some don't but I guess it is like liking Starbucks Sumatra. Folks may tell me I shouldn't like it but I do. Martins, as was Starbucks coffee, was my first premium guitar experience (and coffee experience respectively). I still like both. I never tried a Santa Cruz, or Collings. I have played a Taylor, but was not in love.

Anyways, this guitar seemed very nice to me. Smaller body guitars are tempting for the convenience of the smaller body, but I miss the bigger deep tones. This one seems to give you some of that back. It is no dreadnought, but it is a very nice guitar IMHO. PS, Andrew, my young friend who won the guitar, is a Wilco and Tweedy fanatic, and was the one who really got me listening to Wilco in the first place.

Hmm. I looked at Larrivees when I bought, and I liked them a lot. But as a substitute for a rosewood/spruce Martin. I love the rosewood/spruce Martin dread sound. I know some don't but I guess it is like liking Starbucks Sumatra. Folks may tell me I shouldn't like it but I do. Martins, as was Starbucks coffee, was my first premium guitar experience (and coffee experience respectively). I still like both. I never tried a Santa Cruz, or Collings. I have played a Taylor, but was not in love.

Anyways, this guitar seemed very nice to me. Smaller body guitars are tempting for the convenience of the smaller body, but I miss the bigger deep tones. This one seems to give you some of that back. It is no dreadnought, but it is a very nice guitar IMHO. PS, Andrew, my young friend who won the guitar, is a Wilco and Tweedy fanatic, and was the one who really got me listening to Wilco in the first place.

Yeah, the rosewood/spruce dreadnought isn't my sort of sound. I like cedar tops best, preferably with mahogany. I only have two guitars with spruce tops these days and they don't get as much play as the others. I think the Tweedy would be great for recording, with that slightly bigger bass response.

Yeah, the rosewood/spruce dreadnought isn't my sort of sound. I like cedar tops best, preferably with mahogany. I only have two guitars with spruce tops these days and they don't get as much play as the others. I think the Tweedy would be great for recording, with that slightly bigger bass response.
Well when you say that, I think you will like it, based on the little time I had with it. If you want I could put you in touch with Andrew for more details from the source.

I admit that I've been spoiled to play some pretty incredible acoustics, especially as at one time my step-father owned (simultaneously) a Santa Cruz dread, Collings OM, Martin OM's and D-28, Larrivee L-03M, and a couple of Taylors. I've found that in the price range where you start to get the really great sounding Martins, you're in the territory of used Collings or Santa Cruz models and usually new Larrivees. The Tweedy is a kinda unique piece that no one else is building, so I'm slightly more inclined to give it a shot than I would most Martins. Then there's the Tweedy association...

I don't think I've ever picked up one of the signature edition Martins that failed to impress me in one way or another. I suppose that's because they're steering all their good wood to the high-end models and using the mediocre stuff on everything else. The QC is still okay, but you end up with a lot of hit-or-miss. Even the venerable D-28 ain't what it used to be.

But yeah, you pay a premium right off the bat because it's a Martin.

I'm cautiously optimistic that since this is a Limited Run model, it's got some mojo-wood. It's still considerably cheaper than his old Breedlove sign, but that was an even smaller run and completely different specs.

The Martin Eric Clapton 000-28EC has a modified V neck. Every guitar Center I've been to has at least one Martin 000-28EC. Try one to see if you like the neck.

The Martin Eric Clapton 000-28EC has a modified V neck. Every guitar Center I've been to has at least one Martin 000-28EC. Try one to see if you like the neck.

It's the same neck? Hmmm. My local GC doesn't have one, but maybe one of the other ones nearby does.

I should clarify... they've got a used Eric Clapton, not a Tweedy. :embarrassed: But at least I can figure out if I like the neck. Listed a guitar on Reverb earlier and will do a couple more tomorrow.

Back