Harvard's Alcohol Amnesty Policy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kerouac, Apr 21, 2010.

Apr 21, 2010
  1. Kerouac weird musical dildo

Interesting article, but I bolded my favourite line:

I still count that as one drink. :weebz:

2. Apr 21, 2010
  3. When I was young and stupid I used to mix drinks like that.

4. Apr 21, 2010
  5. Denverdave Resident Ragamuffin

Mix? When I was young and stupid there was no mix. Just straight shots. Emphasis is on the stupid here. Very stupid in my case....

6. Apr 21, 2010
  7. Kerouac weird musical dildo

IN college I'd dump half of a 32 oz. Gatorade container into some empty tupperware and fill the other half up with vodka or everclear. I did the same thing with OJ containers and then could walk around the dorm drinking screwdrivers all day. :love:

8. Apr 21, 2010
  9. What year did you graduate? :p

10. Apr 21, 2010
  11. Kerouac weird musical dildo

:weebz::weebz:

12. Apr 21, 2010
  13. Gary Blanchard Luna-tic

Binge drinking at colleges is a serious problem resulting in more than a few deaths. I am anot anti-alcohol, but I do think that people sometimes underestimate the danger of over-consumption.

14. Apr 21, 2010
  15. Sad Navigator Banned

I learned how to count drinks after I got alcohol poisoning. I built up a wicked tolerance over the course of one semester and the at a party -- where I couldn't watch the bottle getting empty -- I drank and drank and couldn't "feel it" until too late. I learned a lesson.

I was sick for three days. I probably should have sought medical attention, but I didn't want to get in teh troublez.

16. Apr 21, 2010
  17. Yeah, I learned how to pace myself after my 1st year or so. It's really just a matter of being able to ask yourself "do I really want to be more drunk then I am already?", I guess.

A big part of the problem is the competitive mentality; so many people are drinking with the intention of getting fucked up, trying to consume as much as they can handle, as quickly as they can handle it, etc. It can be like a drinking game, even when it isn't.

18. Apr 21, 2010
  19. Sad Navigator Banned

Yeah. Macho drinking bullshit is fun. My buddy and I used to pride ourselves on being able to drink most anyone under the table. It's a useful skill sometimes, but really not worth feeling like crap all the time or developing dependence issues or all the other fun bonus gifts.

20. Apr 21, 2010
  21. affy King of the Wild Frontier

How many drinks is that suppose to be? It seems like one.

22. Apr 21, 2010
  23. Kerouac weird musical dildo

Oh, I still can do it but I choose to exercise that power a lot less frequently than I did from 1998-2005. I was still young and in that "if you want to rock you need to do drugs and act like a dumbass" phase. Now I simply drink to excess out of necessity. :weebz:

If you fill that blue cup to the halfway (or 3/4 way...) with hard liquor you're looking at about 6-8 shots.

24. Apr 21, 2010
  25. Denverdave Resident Ragamuffin

That is why I mentioned the stupid attached to my comment. Every year you hear about a few people dying from overdrinking during rush week or some other college festivity at either CU or CSU. A guy from my high school died my junior year from over doing rum.

My stupid drinking took place in the military rather than college. Lots of young servicemen with very little to do, plenty of spare cash, and no transportation is a bad combination.

26. Apr 21, 2010
  27. yabba n00b

my alma mater's drug/alcohol motto was 'non loco parentis'

very much "don't ask, don't tell, don't be stupid"

it seemed to work for them.

28. Apr 21, 2010
  29. ExiledCrow n00b

My school did the exact same thing, and they were very up front about it with the parents, basically, "if you want a babysitter enroll them somewhere else". You could have a keg, 12 members of the opposite sex, etc, in your room and as long as you weren't disturbing your neighbors, hey go nuts ...

30. Apr 21, 2010
  31. charlesb n00b

Learning moderation is something that more people ought to do. That class is a good idea

32. Apr 22, 2010
  33. Acadiafall Kiss Me Hardy

I totally didnt get the point of this until i realised the US legal age for drinking is 21.

I know its normal over there but in Europe, as im sure you know, its 18. Its also fine for someone of say 16 or 17 to have a glass of wine as long as theyre in a restaurant.

I cant imagine going to college/university without getting plasterered every now and then.

34. Apr 22, 2010
  35. yabba n00b

neither can anyone here, regardless of the drinking age..