Harry Metcalfe drives deep into the Sahara in a Testarossa

That journey was very unkind to that car. The way it rattled and squeaked on the washboard dirt roads was gut wrenching.

I'm not sure that I am entirely supportive of this adventure. It's his car, I suppose if he doesn't mind beating the buhjeezus out of it, I shouldn't either, but damn.

That is a piece of Automotive art that was not meant for banzai trips through the Sahara.

Harry's very much of the "screw it, it's just a car, if something breaks I'll have it fixed" school and I love that. But yeah, this one was a bit extreme.

Was he born into fortune? Because you’d have to be damned wealthy to have the money to take a Testarossa into the Sahara along with enough spare parts to get through the trip.

Was he born into fortune? Because you’d have to be damned wealthy to have the money to take a Testarossa into the Sahara along with enough spare parts to get through the trip.

Harry is the founder and editorial director of Car/Performance Car/Evo. I'm sure he does well, but I don't know if publishing pays for a car collection like that (he also owns a Pagani Zonda and a Ferrari FF).

I'm going to be contrary of the white gloves above. If it were a one off or such, I could see the baby treatment... but there were several thousands of these made, especially in red, and they were built to be driven.

Life is about the memories and the experiences.... you can put a price on a car but you can't put a price on an absolutely epic trip like that.

I'm going to be contrary of the white gloves above. If it were a one off or such, I could see the baby treatment... but there were several thousands of these made, especially in red, and they were built to be driven.

Life is about the memories and the experiences.... you can put a price on a car but you can't put a price on an absolutely epic trip like that.
It's still a travesty. Take your epic Saharan adventure in an old Toyota FJ 40 or a Willy's.

The Testarossa should have its adventure re- creating the Mille Miglia or tearing it up on some long forgotten racing circuit.

I'll bet you'd change your tune if he was dragging a dead mint '58 Les Paul behind it with a chain around the headstock.

They made thousands of those too.

I think, for the most part, cars are meant to be driven. Unless it's one-of-a-kind or extremely rare and valuable, drive it. I love the guys who race six- and seven-figure historic sports cars like they were Hondas.

I think, for the most part, cars are meant to be driven. Unless it's one-of-a-kind or extremely rare and valuable, drive it. I love the guys who race six- and seven-figure historic sports cars like they were Hondas.
I totally agree, and I also love that type of racing. I am still uncomfortable with driving a high performance street car down a washboard dirt road. It ain't right.

Back