Happy New Metallica Song Day

This is far better than the godawful song they used to announced the album. I like the way it feels a little like Japanese technical metal, but less cheesy. I didn’t think the solo was bad, although the wah was overdone. The chorus is a weak, but that’s just typical post-1991 Metallica.

i never said I thought he was a great drummer, i just think he sounds fine in context of the band....for their sound. For guys in their 50's playing the music they play, just the stamina to keep it up is pretty impressive and really here is hardwired live...no cut and paste here and to my ears I don't hear anything wrong...they are nailing it and lars sounds very good.

I actually think it sounds better live.

The new song sounds great to me, but I do agree. Hammett is just phoning it in. At least his guitar sounds like it's in tune.

you could argue the first point, but the second point is lolworthy. Lars can't even hold a beat
did you watch the video I posted? Lars can hold a beat. I think you just have a personal problem with Lars.

maiden is cool, so is metallica. one doesn't always have to be better or worse. if you don't like it that is cool but it sounds like anything they would release some of you guys would just rehash the same opinions over and over again.

image.jpeg

Representation of Lars's hand-eye coordination.

You can say a lot about Lars and his drumming, but he really understands how to make an arrangement work.

I heard it for the first time on Sunday - it's OK I guess, but still, doesn't hit me like the old stuff through "And Justice For All" did. Lars will only ever be an OK drummer when he's on. When he's off - yeesh! Also I like wah, but too much wah gets about as old for me as too much whammy bar. This song had too much wah for the lead guitar.

That rocked.....

And then there is this....

"To me, I would rather watch somebody like Lars Ulrich on stage than one of these technical drummers that can do quadruple paradiddles at 240bpm. To me, that's boring. Who cares about that? I'd rather be entertained and go to a show and watch a drummer and have somebody that makes me actually smile. So I don't judge drummers based on their technical ability; I judge them based on the overall package and what they bring to the music they're part of. And what Ulrich brings to the music of Metallica is absolutely invaluable. So I could care less if his meter might be slightly up and down, or if his fills are slightly sloppy; I don't care about that. To me, there's way more to being a good drummer than precision and technique."

— Mike Portnoy

Last edited:
Back